POSITION: Director of Donor Relations and Development Communications
DEPARTMENT: Development and Alumni Relations
REPORTS TO: Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree optional. Minimum of five years experience in related field required. Experience working within a university or a non-profit development or advancement organization strongly preferred. Emphasis on experience working in donor relations, donor stewardship, event planning and communications within a development or advancement environment. Should have an understanding of endowment funds and the awarding process for student scholarships. Prior experience using Microsoft Office, Excel, familiarity with DonorPro and Jenzabar preferred or other donor database including events management modules. Strong communication, organizational and time management skills focused on planning, implementation and collaboration.
Personal Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be able to communicate clearly and accurately in written and oral communications. Excellent writing skills are essential.
- Experience in development and/or working with volunteers preferred. Must be creative and have excellent interpersonal and customer relations skills.
- Must understand the importance of building life-long relationships between the University and its alumni and friends. Serve as an advocate within the University for donors, alumni and friends. Must be able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines and pay attention to details and accuracy.
- Must have experience working with diverse individuals and knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets. An understanding of database segmentation, prospect identification and professional fundraising experience strongly preferred.
- Professional appearance and demeanor required. Must be a self-starter and must be able to take initiative to be successful in this position. Must be an excellent communicator with professional interpersonal skills and have the ability to work well with diverse constituencies.
- Experience with event management preferred.
- Experience with social media, marketing, or website maintenance preferred.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Directs all donor relations, stewardship programs, acknowledgements, signature events and department communications with Point Park University donors, including President’s Circle members, and other related individuals and constituencies.
The Director of Donor Relations and Development Communications works closely with the Associate Vice President and staff to advance the mission of the department to inform, engage and build investment in all internal and external constituencies. Relationships should be characterized by effective communication, a positive attitude, a team-spirited style and innovation toward overall growth for the University. A clear understanding of achievement of the University’s mission through mutual understanding of goals and objectives.
- The Director will enrich Point Park’s development and alumni relations program.
- Conduct research on best practices, suggest content based on a donor’s particular area of giving or interest and will also make recommendations regarding the format of donor reports.
- Manage the stewardship and donor relations departmental budget.
- Collaborate with development leadership by providing data for developing long-term strategy for prospect identification and development.
- Create targeted strategies and events to cultivate potential donors, leveraging the incredible faculty, students, and facilities of the University. Develop effective programs to ensure, foster and nurture productive relationships with these individuals.
- Supervise programs and activities for the President’s Circle, including lists of current members, recognition events and personalized communications.
- Respond to special needs and requests of donors.
- Manage and implement a personal stewardship portfolio of at least 25 top Point Park prospects.
- Develop stewardship plans and processes that lead to additional investments.
- Work closely with University fundraisers, senior academic administrators, faculty, staff and the President to build long-term donor relations programs that enrich relationships between donors and the University.
- Ensure all donors to the University are appropriately thanked in a timely and meaningful way.
- Create stewardship reports to educate, engage, inspire and thank our top donors for their generosity.
- Manage the production and delivery of Point Park stewardship reporting including annual gift reports to trustees, endowment donors, scholarship donors, and corporate and foundation donors, among others.
- Coordinate general stewardship programs, including personalized communications, letters and web-based information.
- Manage the production of acknowledgment letters to all donors of $1,000 or more.
- Develop and oversee stewardship processes to ensure appropriate and accurate recording, acknowledgement, recognition, and allocation of gifts.
- Coordinate with student services to monitor scholarship activity; engage in ongoing communication with scholarship donors and provides stewardship. Work closely with the Director of Financial Aid.
- Maintain a calendar of gift anniversary calls and cards.
- Oversee the planning, coordination and support to ensure the successful planning and execution of the department’s annual signature events to meet department and University goals.
- Use events to match potential donors with specific faculty, students, and programs.
- Organize annual scholarship events as an opportunity to match scholarship recipients with benefactors.
- Develop event concepts, plan detailed programs, and orchestrate successful logistical arrangements to enhance program success. Work closely with the Office of Conference and Event Services.
- Prepare and manage guest lists, invitations, and arrangements for featured guests and speakers. Manage the budget for all events.
- Prepare event briefing documents for the President and other staff.
- Oversee database management for events (DonorPro).
- Manage an ongoing calendar of department events and evaluate the opportunity to leverage events and donor interest with other University event plans.
- Design and implement donor surveys for the purpose of refining and improving reports and other donor communications.
- Contribute to regular brainstorming on innovative, unique and personalized stewardship communications and experiences.
- Research and communicate emerging trends and best practices in donor engagement and stewardship.
- Coordinate Development and Alumni Relations communications; serve as a key conduit of information; and collaborate to develop communications that are targeted to donors, prospective donors and additional key constituencies of the University.
- Develop the annual communications plan that enhances the outreach efforts of the department; including web-based communications, direct mail, event marketing and constituent outreach.
- Provide liaison functions across Development and Alumni Relations and other University constituencies to develop messaging for the Development and Alumni Relations web pages.
- Create and implement a strategic external communications plan for the department, including the website, print and electronic materials, development and public program initiatives, annual reports and speeches.
- Coordinate communications and marketing needs of the department; advise all departments and staff on communications and public relations issues.
- Measure and analyze results of marketing and communications outreach initiatives to determine effectiveness.
- Assume additional duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to
(preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - DIRECTOR OF DONOR RELATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT COMMUNICATIONS - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.