POSITION: Director of Operations
DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations
REQUIREMENTS: Baccalaureate degree or equivalent experience relating to the mechanical/structural trades and/or building construction within an educational or similar institution is required. Candidate must have five or more years of experience managing multiple departments. A working knowledge of at least three trades is required. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with diverse constituencies and accomplished written and oral communication skills are necessary. Must have the capability to plan, coordinate, analyze, execute and document specific administrative and management functions with a sense of long-term goals of the department. The position requires the ability to work under pressure in both a public and internal administrative capacity. Computer experience with AutoCAD, MS Project, and Corrigo Work order system is preferred and a working knowledge of architectural plans and specifications is essential.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: The Director of Operations manages the Physical Plant maintenance shops that enable engineering, electrical, plumbing, painting and carpentry staff to effectively serve the University community. Serves as the primary maintenance contact for the Vice President of Operations in his absence. Performs special projects assigned by the Vice President of Operations.
- Delegate purchasing, receiving and supply operations. Monitor procurement operations to ensure availability of materials and contract support. Work with buyers on concerns related to procurement services, warehouse inventory, and annual maintenance.
- Delegate customer contacts, preparation of scope of work, plans specifications, bid documents, preparation of contract documents and inspection of equipment and auxiliary renovation and remodeling projects. Approve selection of consultants for engineering and design services, such as architectural and mechanical renovations. Select and work directly with consultants on special projects. Prepare reports for the Vice President of Operations summarizing expenditures in various categories. Prepare or have prepared Board of Trustees agenda items for project approval as necessary.
- Monitor development of a major maintenance program for projects, both deferred maintenance and long range repairs and replacements. Delegate collection of data and compilation of lists with estimates for these projects. Approve project schedules based on these plans and monitor progress toward completion. Attend Campus Life hall tours and renovations committee meetings. Prepare annual report for Board of Trustees on completed projects valued above $5,000. Manage roofing and deferred maintenance budgets.
- Review expenditure and encumbrance reports produced by accounting. Monitor monthly expenditures. Approve expenditures above delegated limits. Prepare budget justification for capital expenditures, new positions, reclassifications and related budgetary activities. Assist Vice President in preparation of annual budgets and analysis of budget expenditures.
- Develop and implement Facilities and personal performance metrics. Benchmark against peer institutions and industry standards. Coordinate with other departments to track metrics and assess results.
- Conduct team activities with full staff. Conduct training as needed to support mission. Assist supervisory staff with personnel issues, advising and approving actions. Follow up on work in progress.
- Conduct Strategic Planning activities for Facilities management. Prepare reports for the Vice President detailing annual accomplishments related to the Strategic Plan.
- Review and recommend changes in policies and procedures. Work with supervisors to select team members, write charge, and advise policy teams developing new policies.
- Hire new staff by preparing job announcements, selecting interview teams, reviewing applications and conducting interviews. Conduct orientation and training of new staff.
- Delegate asbestos abatement activities, monitor progress of projects and assist with needed information on project funding and priorities.
- Read and interpret budget ledgers. Read and interpret specifications. Review and approve time sheets. Policy and procedure manuals. Review contracts.
- Prepare clear, concise, grammatically correct reports, letters and proposals regarding department workload. Compose memos. Prepare reports and documents for other agencies.
- Develop formulas for spreadsheets. Use basic math and algebraic equations to calculate square footage, volumes, and estimates of materials.
- Work as member of teams and committees. Coach supervisors in skills development. Mediate disputes with employees. Work with parents, students, faculty and staff to resolve problems.
- Analyze student, parent, or staff complaints about conditions in residence halls or apartments, service problems. Determine appropriate action including shop assigned, completion time or date, and how to expedite materials.
- Review renovation projects scheduled, determine appropriate funding source and priority assigned for design.
- Investigate allegation of employee misconduct and advise supervisors on appropriate action or initiated action.
- Analyze emergency calls after hours, determine action to be taken, instruct CF who to contact and what steps are to be taken to resolve the problem.
- Answer questions for staff and supervisors regarding personnel matters. Purchasing policies. Budgeting. Preparation of projects for presentation to the Board of Trustees.
- Determine appropriate funding sources for projects and purchases. Monitor budget expenditures and encumbrance.
- Analyze priorities for mechanical and building renovations. Discuss options related to bids received with consultants and physical plant staff.
- Prepare miscellaneous reports and assist Vice President with special projects as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.