POSITION: Public Safety Dispatcher
REPORTS TO: Captain of Public Safety
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Public Safety Dispatcher, as assigned, will provide emergency communications and records maintenance for the Department of Public Safety within the Dispatch Center. They will use computer-aided dispatch systems; receive emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, medical or other emergency services. Determine the nature and location of the emergency; determine priorities, and dispatch police, fire ambulance or other emergency units as necessary and in accordance with established procedures. Receive and process 911 emergency calls, maintain contact with all units on assignment, maintain status and location of police and fire units. Monitor direct emergency alarms, answer non-emergency calls for assistance. Enter, update and retrieve information from a variety of computer systems. Receive requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, and provides pertinent data. Monitor several complex public safety radio frequencies. Operate a variety of communications equipment, including radio consoles, telephones and computer systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques for receiving complaints and calls for service and for dispatching and communicating with university public safety field personnel;
- Knowledge of public safety-related agencies and the respective communication protocols;
- Ability to read maps and floor plans of the university campus and buildings, and provide directions to officers in the field;
- Ability to effectively use a phonetic alphabet, speak clearly and concisely, follow oral and written instructions, transfer information accurately, handle a wide range of interpersonal interactions effectively, and learn the use of applicable automated dispatch and law enforcement systems and databases;
- Ability to provide clear and concise verbal directions and effectively converse using public safety radio systems;
- Ability to respond and act quickly, accurately evaluate information and situations, make appropriate decisions in emergency situations and present and summarize information in a variety of written formats, using clear and concise language;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, interact with all members of the campus community and general public, and maintain composure in highly stressful situations or when dealing with difficult individuals;
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Knowledge of proper use and care of radio, radio equipment, telephone, computer, Fire-Access-CCTV monitoring systems;
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- High school diploma or its equivalent, Ability to work overtime, on-call, weekends, evenings, and rotating shifts;
- Subject to random drug testing.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.