POSITION: Executive Director, Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE)
REPORTS TO: The Chair of the PCHE Presidents' Council
SUMMARY: Based on the vision of the PCHE Presidents' Council and the PCHE By-Laws, the Executive Director promotes PCHE in Allegheny County, the region and the state of Pennsylvania. The Executive Director works to strengthen existing partnerships and to create new collaborative opportunities for PCHE's member institutions. While this job is conceived to be a full-time, 12-month job, we would also be open to appointing someone as Director on a less than full-time basis if they brought the requisite skills and experience to the position. The position will promote and support other collaborative efforts for PCHE institutions through fundraising, proposal writing, program development, and joint sponsorship of academic and non-academic programming. At times, the Executive Director will serve as a spokesperson for the Council and will represent it to outside groups, including the media.
I. PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work from a home office as the sole employee of PCHE.
- Bi-annually, gather the information that demonstrates the value of the PCHE schools collectively, and produce the associated materials.
- Work with the PCHE Presidents to identify opportunities for the schools to collaborate on meaningful projects with outcomes; structure the projects; fundraise for the projects; manage the projects to completion.
- Work with the PCHE Presidents to identify and develop positions on public policy issues that are relevant to nonprofit higher education and represent PCHE on these issues.
- Work with members of the PCHE Presidents' Council to plan and implement their vision for the organization within the city, county and state of Pennsylvania.
- Monitor local, state, regional and international trends in higher education with special emphasis on collaborative models.
- Act as the spokesperson and representative of PCHE with higher education, government organizations, civic organizations, corporations, the foundation community, the media and the general public.
- Organize and oversee standing PCHE Committees; determine a chairperson for each and collaboratively set goal(s) for each committee. Assess and determine the need to establish new standing or ad hoc committees.
- Develop an esprit de corps among all PCHE committee participants, leaders and administrators.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and team-approach administration.
- Develop and manage an annual budget with the Chair and Treasurer of the PCHE Presidents' Council, and all associated accounting activities.
- Facilitate the conduct of organizations, programs and special events that promote and support other institutions interested in education within the City of Pittsburgh or Allegheny County.
- Conduct at least four PCHE Presidents' Council meetings annually and work with the chairperson to set the agenda for each meeting.
- Meet monthly with the Chair of the Presidents' Council.
- Participate in appropriate and approved higher education associations as needed.
- Perform additional duties as the PCHE Presidents assign.
II. POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Seven to ten years of experience in higher education or related experience with knowledge of higher education's major issues and opportunities for collaboration.
- Proven understanding of the Pittsburgh & Allegheny County communities, in terms of corporate, civic, non-profit, government, and political leadership and structures, both formal and informal.
- Experience with public policy/government relations.
- Experience in a leadership capacity with multiple levels of reporting.
- Ability to serve as spokesperson and experience with interacting effectively with the media.
- Demonstrated leadership, entrepreneurial and marketing/fundraising and budgeting success.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication.
- Ability to work collaboratively and move priorities forward.
- Ability and flexibility to travel as required.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by the incumbent of this job. Incumbent may be requested to perform job- related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
For more information regarding PCHE visit www.pchepa.org.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or mail to:
Jen Lardo c/o PCHE at Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - Executive Director - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Equal Opportunity Employer.