POSITION: HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST
REPORTS TO: Assistant VP, Human Resources
Bachelor’s degree (preferably in human resources) or equivalent experience; prefer at least three years of HR experience with employment, employee benefits and employee relations. Strong service, communication and organizational skills, and ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff, and students; ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision. Experience with Ceridian human resources information system is a plus. Must be dependable, detail-oriented, and strictly confidential. Individual must be able to multi-task in a fast paced, team focused, work environment. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM with flexibility to work other hours as needed.
Administer and coordinate multiple functions in the Human Resources Office with emphasis on employment, employee benefits, internal fact finding investigations, training coordination, and payroll related data entry. Perform a variety of human resources functions, projects, report creation, internet/intranet postings, new hire orientations, and miscellaneous duties for the Human Resources Office.
- Benefits Administration:
Administers benefits programs including medical, dental, flexible spending, COBRA and life insurance; to include analysis, quality assurance, and serving as day-to-day HR contact with benefit plan representatives and employees. Coordinates all administration including claims resolutions, approving invoices for payment, enrollment and processing changes, maintain employee communications on benefits
Check invoices for health, dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, and other benefit programs to verify that all personnel additions, deletions or changes are included; coordinate with Payroll Office; and resolve discrepancies with insurance carriers and benefits vendors.
Approve enrollments, changes/additions/terminations in benefit programs; maintain relationship with benefit plan representatives, resolve problems as necessary.
Assist with all new benefits plan design changes by coordinating with vendors, preparing communication materials, ensuring proper procedure and policy is in place, educating employees, implementing necessary administration and follow up, and providing employees with support with issues.
Coordinates annual benefits enrollment period (medical insurance, flexible spending accounts and dental plans and other benefit programs) and ensures timely completion of necessary changes.
- Determine the appropriate amount of tuition remission and restrictions for all employees (according to job classification); complete and authorize University tuition remission request form and notify appropriate departments.
- Be an active member of the University Employee Retirement Investment Committee and provide assistance relating to the Plans such as; loan/hardship approvals, processing auto enrollment notices at new hire orientations and coordination of deferral change forms.
- Coordinate COBRA initial notification and termination notifications with third party: ensure that the reimbursement from the outside vendor is appropriately submitted to the business office and to the corresponding account.
- Maintain ad placements, job postings, resume processing/tracking. Maintain search files and ensure necessary documents are included/turned in by hiring manager. Ensure hiring managers are provided with appropriate hiring tools upon initial recruitment process. Assist with scheduling, background and reference checking, and some telephone screening or interviewing.
- Assist with position evaluations/classifications with new or current positions as it pertains to job postings, job descriptions, and entering data into Ceridian. Assist in the development of job descriptions. May complete salary surveys or provide salary survey data to AVP for salary analysis of staff positions.
- Employee Relations: Assists with internal fact finding investigations from informal concerns to formal complaints. Conducts internal investigations along with preparing minutes and reports. Serves as a fact finder, record keeper and/or facilitator.
- Assist with implementing and / or delivering training and development programs. Help plan, organize and facilitate all training initiatives as well as other HR sponsored events.
- Conduct new employee orientation, including explaining the various benefits programs, policies and procedures to new employees; ensure that benefits enrollment and change forms are completed and returned in a timely manner and coordinated with the Payroll Department.
- Assist in management of customer service initiatives for the University, serve on the STARS committee, to design and implement customer service training and other initiatives.
- Coordinate, maintain, and generate Human Resources-related files, records, and reports; maintain human resources information system and related files and records; generate reports, as needed.
- Process HR documents such as new hire documents; check Human Resources authorization documents; ensure timely and accurate completion of I-9 documents.
- Input HR information accurately into the payroll system, including new hires, address changes, title changes, etc.
- Maintain and update all intranet and internet pages specific to HR, including benefits, student employment, policies and procedures, etc.
- Plan Human Resources related events such as employee recognition luncheon, fall benefits fair, administrative professional luncheon, etc. as needed.
- Oversee HR Administrative Assistant duties, and ensure they are completed accurately and meeting deadlines, such as new hire paperwork processing, status changes, HR-1/HR-2 processing, general requests/inquiries, etc.
- Back-up to Assistant Directors for benefits implementation/maintenance, unemployment, worker’s compensation claims, training, performance management, and other support as needed.
- Back-up to HR Administrative Assistant, including such duties as coordinating temporary staffing requests from supervisors/managers; process invoices; and processing hiring approval paperwork and routine administrative support as needed.
- Answer employment verification inquiries via telephone, fax, or mail.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - HR SPECIALIST- in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.