POSITION: Natural Science Lab Associate (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
REPORTS TO: Chairperson of Natural Sciences and Engineering Technology
Master’s degree in natural sciences or related field. Knowledge and experience in chemical, biological, and biotechnology laboratory techniques. Demonstrated ability to teach introductory laboratory courses in the natural sciences. Good communication skills.
Responsible to NSET chairperson for teaching assigned laboratory courses, maintain laboratory equipment, and ordering equipment and supplies.
- Teach Laboratory courses in Natural Sciences (4 units of teaching laboratory per semester; approximately 12 hours per week for teaching laboratory and related duties).
- Responsible for maintaining laboratory equipment to include making reagents and buffers, maintaining living species, calibration of instruments, assembly of equipment, and routine preventive maintenance including cleaning of laboratory classrooms.
- Assist faculty in preparing and conducting laboratory classes.
- Authorize payment for equipment and supplies use.
- Maintain records of expenditures for equipment and supplies.
- Establish and maintain contacts with local laboratories and companies to develop internships for students.
- Work with faculty to project both capital and software budgets for coming school year.
- Work with IT department to define hardware and software needs for biotechnology lab.
- Implement and learn new software packages for biotechnology laboratory.
- Ensure compliance and training of OSHA and EPA standard for biology, chemistry, physics, and biotechnology laboratories.
- Responsible for the shipping and receiving of all merchandise for all natural science concentrations.
- Recruiting, hiring, and supervising work study students.
- Assist faculty members in the further development and recruitment of students in the biotechnology program.
- Assist faculty in biotechnology programs for high school students and summer camps.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - LABORATORY ASSOCIATE - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.