POSITION: LEGAL EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Legal Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Legal Affairs
Knowledge of standard secretarial procedures and legal office management techniques; correct English grammar, punctuation, spelling and proofreading; business formats; technical legal terms and processing legal forms; procedures for filing and servicing legal documents; record keeping and filing systems; general finance and accounting principles; standard office equipment and software applications; legal research methods using Westlaw and LexisNexis; principles of Internet research; effective telephone techniques. Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with diverse groups, including top level administrators, faculty and Board members; prepare legal documents and complete work assignments; set up and maintain database files; use time management techniques to organize and prioritize work. Associate’s degree in Business or Applied Business Certificate or Paralegal certificate; and five years of legal secretarial experience is preferred. Organizational skills; ability to prioritize assignments and tasks to meet deadlines. Ability to exercise discretion and keep matters confidential; Dictaphone transcribing, computer knowledge, and excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary. Proficient with MS Office and MS Project is desired.
Under general direction, provide high-level legal administrative support for the Vice President, Legal Affairs and Office of Legal Counsel, performing a variety of responsible secretarial, technical and administrative functions; perform other related duties as assigned.
- Manages office details by relieving the Vice President, Legal Affairs of routine requests and matters;
- Follows established rules and procedures in responding to requests and redirecting items to other staff members;
- Designs and organizes office record keeping system and insures maintenance of legal opinion files, litigation files, subject files and legal publications;
- Files legal documents with appropriate courts;
- Performs administrative office functions including, but not limited to, Screening calls and visitors; Perform word processing, transcription, spreadsheet development and other clerical duties as required; ordering equipment and supplies; Scheduling and coordinating travel/conference arrangements; Completing purchase requisitions; Managing office activities and calendar of VP of Legal Affairs; Scheduling related appointments; Answering multi-line telephone system, taking messages and responding to general inquires; Opening, sorting and distributing mail, Arranging for meetings and conferences as directed.
- Maintains follow-up/reminder systems to insure timely completion of projects;
- Tracks hours and continuing education credits for staff to meet requirements for Pennsylvania Bar;
- Maintains dockets and calendars for Vice President, Legal Affairs and other staff;
- Makes arrangements for conferences, workshops and inservices.
- Participate in, as directed, conferences and committee meetings that may require the taking of notes and/or verbatim minutes.
- Support and act as an integral part of the Legal Affairs department.
- Maintains oversight responsibility for department budgets, including compiling necessary data for projects, monitoring expenditures and income, and instituting budget revisions when necessary;
- Prepares expense and mileage reimbursement claims;
- Review expense reports and legal invoices for accuracy.
- Maintain confidential email correspondence of VP of Legal Affairs.
- Locate and compile information and format reports, graphs, tables, records and other sources of confidential information.
- Compose routine correspondence; prepare mailing, design forms, and proofread letters and memos.
- Draft narrative reports for VP of Legal Affairs as requested.
- Perform projects and other related duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - LEGAL EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.