POSITION: Master Cutter/Draper
DEPARTMENT: Conservatory of Performing Arts
REPORTS TO: Costumer Shop Manager
REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Bachelor’s degree in theatre or equivalent with at least 3 years practical experience as a Cutter/Draper in professional theatre, with at least 5 years of professional costume construction experience with a thorough knowledge of costume construction techniques.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Creates the patterns and supervises construction of costumes as designed by the Costume Designer. Fits and oversees alterations and reworking of built, rented and pulled costumes, as assigned. Sets workroom standards for construction of garments.
- Sets the standards for costume construction in the workroom, and oversees quality control and consistency of construction.
- Researches the period, style and techniques necessary to complete the costumes, working with the Costume Designer and the Designer’s renderings.
- In consultation with the Costume Designer and Costume Shop Manager discusses costumes, how they are to be constructed, what is happening in areas not illustrated by the rendering, what types of fabrics are to be used, what garments are worn underneath, etc.
- Works closely with the Costume Shop Manager to estimate time and materials needed for each project.
- Develops methods and techniques to achieve goals set in time estimates.
- Supervises and participates in the cutting, mock up, stitching and fitting of all costumes.
- Communicates clear and specific instructions to overhire and student workers.
- Creates and/or oversees the creation of patterns by draping or flat patterning for individual costumes.
- Informs Costume Shop Manager of needed supplies and and equipment maintenance and repair in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Costume Shop Manager.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - MASTER CUTTER/DRAPER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.