POSITION: Operations Manager
DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
REQUIREMENTS: Baccalaureate degree or equivalent experience relating to the mechanical/structural trades and/or building construction within an educational or similar institution is required. A working knowledge of at least three trades is required. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with diverse constituencies and accomplished written and oral communication skills are necessary. Must have the capability to plan, coordinate, analyze, execute and document specific administrative and management functions with a sense of long-term goals of the department. The position requires the ability to work under pressure in both a public and internal administrative capacity. Computer experience with AutoCAD, MS Project, and ACT Work order system is preferred and a working knowledge with architectural plans and specifications are essential.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The manager is responsible for planning, coordinating and directing of all daily activities related to the mechanical and building trade functions of the University, including maintenance engineers, carpentry, electric, plumbing, HVAC, painting, general and office staff. He or she shall be responsible to the Director and will assist with various administrative and management functions.
- Responsible for the development, training, implementation and management policies and procedures of the office of Physical Plant of the University.
- Monitor expenditures of operating budgets and support the Director in the development of statistical reports and budgets.
- Work in close association with the Department of Public Safety and other Departments in resolving common problems relating in those departments.
- Requires face-to-face, telephone, email and written communications with all levels of the University community and a wide spectrum of outside agencies and vendors.
- Schedule and conduct safety meetings for all members of Department. Document safety infractions, suggest corrective actions and formulate a necessary timetable.
- Conduct daily campus and building inspections and provide daily supervision and interaction with the trades personnel and office staff.
- Direct and evaluate the quality and productivity of the departmental personnel.
- Closely monitor job costs and identifying cost overruns in accordance with budgeted requirements.
- Assist in the development, implanting, and updating of the building preventive maintenance plan.
- Establish and maintain necessary files, documents, records and reports, to enable an efficient and economical operation.
- Complete material requisitions for the repair of University buildings and operations equipment in accordance with established policy.
- Assign specific duties to department personnel and hold them accountable for the satisfactory and effective performance of such duties.
- Observe and inspect work while in progress and when completed to insure that specific codes and regulations are followed, materials and equipment are used properly, schedules are met, and work is performed according to plan.
- Periodically prepares standard written evaluations of the work performance of subordinate employees.
- The manager will screen prospective employees, conduct interviews for support staff, and make recommendations for employment or termination of employees within his/her area of responsibility.
- Responds to Emergency calls during non-business hours and notifies the appropriate personnel; 24 hour communication is required for all emergencies by cellular telephone.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - OPERATIONS MANAGER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.