POSITION: Patient Care Technician
REPORTS TO: University Nurse, Dean of Student Life, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs, Dean of Students
DEPARTMENT: Student Health and Counseling
REQUIREMENTS: This position is a regular, part-time, seasonal position. Hours average 24 per week, normally Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. during the fall and spring semesters; schedule is subject to change and additional days and hours may be required based upon University needs. Position is on hold during the summer and University breaks. Candidate must possess and be able to maintain one of the following: a current EMT certification, an LPN license, or an RN license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required. A minimum of one to three years of experience required, college or university experience preferred, that includes working with individuals of diverse racial, cultural, economic, and religious backgrounds, as well as a variety of ages, ranging from ten years of age through older adult. Excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills are required. The candidate must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Weekend night health care provider for University students, staff, and faculty within the accepted professional EMS, LPN, or RN standards and protocols and laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
HEALTHCARE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide professional and competent medical care to the University students, staff, and faculty that follows current standards of care and utilizes sound clinical judgment based on assessment of the physical, psychological, emotional, societal and environmental needs of each person and is within the appropriate scope of practice.
- Assess for real and potential health hazards relating to current health status, including analysis of risky behaviors that may impact a patient’s health status.
- Educate and encourage recognition and change of behaviors that have a negative impact on health.
- Provide education regarding medical conditions and appropriate preventive measures as needed.
- Consult, refer, and collaborate with University Nurse for students in need of additional medical care.
- Provide support to parents concerned with their student’s illness, while respecting the confidentiality of the student.
- Document appropriately and clearly in patient records, following current standards, including noting the reason for a visit that includes subjective observations as described by the patient, objective findings from examination, assessment of the problem, and plan for treatment and follow up of care as needed.
- Participate in healthcare education and outreach to the University community including, but not limited to, health and wellness events, immunization clinics, and first aid/CPR courses as requested.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain current certification or licensure (as appropriate) in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and complete all necessary continuing education and training required to maintain that certification/licensure.
- Communicate in a clear, effective, and professional manner at all times.
- Communicate with various departments and staff as needed.
- Maintain student/patient confidentiality as required by law and advocate for students as necessary.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary by the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs/Dean of Students and the Dean of Student Life.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.