POSITION: Police Corporal
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
REPORTS TO: Chief of Police
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To provide supervisory and enforcement skills in the accredited law enforcement department at Point Park University. Responsible for supervising police personnel engaged in law enforcement duties associated with the protection, safety, and welfare of students, employees, visitors, and property within the area under the control and jurisdiction of Point Park University. Exercises independent judgment within limits prescribed by law, rules and regulations of the state of Pennsylvania, institutional regulations and procedures and departmental policies and procedures.
- Minimum associate Degree, minimum of 5 years’ experience, one year in a supervisory capacity, preferred Bachelor’s Degree. Ability to work overtime, on-call, weekends, evenings, and rotating shifts;
- Subject to random drug testing.
DUTIES: Supervises and participates in the policing of the property of Point Park University. Lead officer in absence of the Sergeant. Preserves the peace by the use of all lawful means, interceding without warrant when authorized by law to prevent or suppress crime. Executes all lawful process. Arrests offenders with and without warrant where authorized by law. Enforce rules and regulations of the state of Pennsylvania. Provides service, information, and direction to students, employees, and visitors. Writes reports, analyzes workloads, and plans work schedules.
- Supervise officers on the shift by scheduling patrol areas, activities, etc.
- Conduct crime prevention and community awareness programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Patrol on foot, vehicle, and bicycle all areas of the campus.
- Watch for potential criminal activity on campus, such as trespassing, vandalism, etc.
- Conduct routine and special request locking and unlocking of campus buildings.
- Enforce parking and traffic regulations.
- Investigate all security and safety incidents and traffic accidents.
- Prepare reports as required.
- Provide escorts for campus community.
- Provide vehicle unlocks and motorist assists for campus community.
- Inspect and maintain physical safety concerns on campus such as lighting and fire systems.
- Prepare evaluation reports on supervised officers.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - POLICE CORPORAL - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.