POSITION: PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER (2 positions available)
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
REPORTS TO: Director of Public Safety
The Public Safety Officer, as assigned, performs emergency communications dispatching, campus safety and security patrol and emergency response.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Ability to traverse campus grounds and climb stairs during building checks;
- Perform foot and/or bicycle patrol on campus grounds in all weather conditions and temperatures;
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations;
- Ability to deal politely and courteously with a diverse campus population in a professional manner;
- Willing to work flexible shift schedule/hours, including mandated overtime and continuation of regular tour of duty;
- Designated an "essential employee," may be required to remain on duty beyond normal shift and/or be available on a 24-hour basis to report for duty without prior notice due to emergencies or manpower shortages;
- Must be able to work all shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays;
- Perform foot patrols of residence halls ensuring safety and security and entrance doors are locked;
- Maintain close working relationship with the university community while enforcing university safety and security rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of proper use and care of radio, radio equipment, telephone, computer, Fire-Access-CCTV monitoring systems;
- Perform, under the supervision and direction of the Lieutenant.
- Respond to medical emergencies and assess patient(s) and provide basic life support and emergency medical care;
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Act 235 certification required, Act 120 recommended, CPR, AED, and First Responder certifications, Ability to work overtime, on-call, weekends, evenings, and rotating shifts;
- Associate's degree, or semester credit equivalent, in Criminal Justice, Public Safety, Emergency Management, or appropriate related field;
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.