POSITION: Safety Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Department Chair, Cinema Arts
POSITION TYPE: Instructional Staff, Full-Time (12 month) with benefits
REQUIREMENTS: BA or MFA degree in film production or similar degree preferred. Extensive knowledge and experience working on location production shoots. Must have knowledge and experience with cameras, lighting packages, grip and gaffing duties, and on-set safety procedures.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Oversee safety for all Cinema Department productions. Design and implement in conjunction with cinema production faculty a number of safety training sessions for students throughout the four years of cinema production study. Teach these sessions throughout the academic year as well as teach one or two sections of a basic production course each semester. Serve as the primary safety officer for the department, which includes reviewing pre--production materials of up to 200 productions each year. Review and check camera and lighting equipment to ensure proper functionality.
- Design, implement and teach production safety sessions from freshman to senior year.
- Review pre-production materials from all projects in production sections and intermediate and advanced production based electives.
- Work with the risk management officer as needed on location contracts, release forms, request for insurance, and certificates of insurance.
- Review and update the student production handbook on a yearly basis as well as updating the filmmaker’s code, production safety checklist, etc.
- Review all requests to use weapons in student productions for approval. Monitor and provide guidance on weapons use
- Work closely with faculty members to set parameters for review of pre-production materials.
- Work closely with Student Production Services to have an understanding of the advanced equipment and accessories available for productions.
- Work with Student Production Services to manage the scheduling and checkout of Advanced Production Equipment
- Perform period inspections of advanced camera and lighting equipment to ensure proper functionality.
- Assist the Department Chair in researching and making recommendations on equipment purchases
- Teach one or two three credit section(s) of a Cinema production course per semester.
- Potential to be on call outside of regular business hours during student productions for safety consultations.
- Take on other cinema production related duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - SAFETY COORDINATOR - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.