Graduate Assistant - Center for Media Innovation
POSITION: Graduate Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Center for Media Innovation
REPORTS TO: Director of Center for Media Innovation
PAYMENT: $10 per hour (approximately $800 per month up to a maximum of $6,400 per academic year – September through April) plus fully paid tuition and fees. Full-time tuition is for nine graduate credits per term. Room and board, additional tuition charges, books and incidental costs are not included.
REQUIREMENTS: Undergraduate degree in communication, journalism, marketing, business or related field. Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills. Strong interest in journalism, communication and emerging media technologies. Keen interest in various social media platforms and ability to interact on popular sites. Ability to post various types of content through a content management system. Microsoft Office knowledge. Clearances for working with underage children. Experience in a professional newsroom and ability to exercise news judgment preferred. Comfort and experience operating broadcast equipment for video and audio preferred.
Consideration for the position includes acceptance into one of Point Park University’s master’s degree programs in the School of Communication and enrollment in a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
3.50 GPA in undergraduate major
3.25 GPA overall
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: Work with the director of the Center for Media Innovation to collaborate on high-profile professional and public events. Work closely with students to generate and edit various types of content for public presentation. Manage student and outside use of expensive digital equipment. Collaborate with the director on creating and leading journalism-related workshops. Produce enterprising, professional-quality journalistic content. Work with high school students. Assist on professional productions in areas of brainstorming, storytelling and editing.
- Serve as a first point of contact for visitors to the Center for Media Innovation.
- Help coordinate high-profile public events on a regular basis, including occasional evening and weekend work.
- Maintain content for news ticker and digital displays in high-profile public areas.
- Support social media on Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
- Help maintain Center website, including editing student written stories, video and multimedia for grammar and content.
- Work closely with students, faculty, administrators and outside professionals on organizing events and exhibits.
- Collaborate with high-profile newsmakers, academic leaders and journalists on a regular basis.
- Create and lead journalistic workshops for middle school students, high school students, undergraduates and professionals on topics such as media literacy, social media, journalistic traditions, and specialty areas such as podcast and/or video production.
- Develop flyers and collateral for Center events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Interested students should submit a letter of interest, official undergraduate transcripts (graduate if available) and letters of recommendation to:
Director, Center for Media Innovation
Point Park University
201 Wood St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222