Faculty & Staff  |  Current Students

Online | News | Calendar | Directory | Library | Give

Undergraduate Policies

Graduation Requirements for Baccalaureate and Associate Degrees

Once you are admitted to Point Park University, you will need to understand and follow all academic policies and procedures in order to successfully complete your course of study. University officials such as faculty advisor, department chair, and academic dean can provide assistance, but it is ultimately your responsibility to be aware of policies relating to grading, academic process, withdrawal from courses, declaring or changing majors, and requirements for graduation. This chapter explains the general academic policies. The chapter, Academic Programs, discusses the particular degree programs, majors and general education requirements.

Point Park University awards undergraduate and graduate degrees to students through its Conservatory of Performing Arts, School of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, and School of Communication. Students must meet the minimum requirements for their particular degrees and programs of study as stated in this catalog.

The minimum cumulative and major grade point averages (G.P.A.) are set by the respective departments and may exceed that set by the University. All baccalaureate degrees require a minimum of 120 credit hours. The minimum cumulative and major grade point averages set by the University are 2.00.

Education students should consult with the University department of education for current information regarding the minimum standards for certification.

Residency Requirements

All candidates for the baccalaureate degree must satisfy the final 30 hours rule which means that they must earn 30 credit hours in residence. The candidate must also complete no fewer than 12 hours (in four courses of at least three or more credits) in their major(s).
An individual can earn a second baccalaureate degree upon earning a minimum of 150 credits and the completion of all major requirements for two programs of study. This can be achieved in one of three ways:

  • by completing the two programs at Point Park University simultaneously;
  • after having been awarded a baccalaureate at Point Park University by completing a second program of study and additional credits to total at least 150 credit hours earned at Point Park University;
  • after having been awarded a baccalaureate degree at another accredited college or university by completing a second program of study and at least 30 additional credit hours at Point Park University.

If a particular course is required in both degree programs, it cannot be credited as part of the 30 semester hour requirement for completion of the second degree.

Students pursuing the post-baccalaureate degree must meet the same residency and major(s) requirements as listed for the candidates for the baccalaureate degree.

All associates degrees require a minimum of 60 credit hours. Student pursuing associate degrees must complete the final 15 of the final 30 credits enrolled in Point Park University courses and complete at least 6 hours in their major(s).

Students must apply for graduation and degree conferral through the Office of the University Registrar. The UniversitY confers degrees completed during the academic year in December, May, and August. The University holds a formal commencement ceremony in May. All students who are completing degrees are invited to participate in commencement, although degrees are not conferred until all degree requirements have been met.

Major Status

The University does not require entering first-year students to identify a preferred course of study at the time of registration, but students may declare a major upon admission and should do so by the end of the sophomore year. During registration, academic advisors will guide entering students toward the core curriculum and appropriate major courses or requirements.
Such guidance should ensure that students acquire certain fundamental skills while  completing prerequisites for study in the major.

Each school assigns an academic advisor to all new majors. Academic advisors provide advice and guidance on such matters as concentrations, minors, certifications, change of major, career goals, and job preparation. A major may be declared or changed at any time with a form signed by the chair of the intended major.

School Deans may place on probation or exclude from majoring students who cannot meet or exceed a G.P.A. of 2.00 for all departmental requirements.

Some students elect to pursue double majors. They may obtain the appropriate forms from the Office of Registrar or school offices and should submit them as soon as possible after the completion of the freshman year. Students pursuing a double major must meet the complete requirements for both degrees.

Program Guides

Students are provided program guides outlining the requirements for graduation. Students pursue the major of their choice under the provisions of the program guides in effect at the time of their matriculation. Each program guide is specific to the student's major. It is imperative that students take all courses on their program guides. Failure to do so can delay graduation. Program guides are available via our Web site www.pointpark.edu or from the department of their major.

Students who change their major will pursue their new major under the provisions of the program guides in effect during the academic year in which the change in major occurs. Likewise, students who declare a second major pursue the second major under the provisions of the program guides in effect for the academic year in which the second declaration occurs.

Course Books

The Registrar publishes course books online at www.pointpark.edu and makes copies available at various offices throughout campus. Course books provide students with all of the information needed for registration and advising procedures for each term of classes. The University reserves the right to make changes in the course books at any time.

Academic Advisement

Each student has an academic advisor, usually a faculty member in the department of the major area of study. Students must meet regularly with their advisors to prepare their academic programs and to discuss their academic progress. Changes of advisor occur at the discretion of the department chair. Student Success Centers are also available to meet with students regarding their programs.

Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the requirements of their major programs, securing program guides, and selecting their courses accordingly. Students, not advisors, must complete and forward Registration and/or Schedule Change Request forms to the Office of the Registrar.

Academic Progress

The University awards credits for courses completed with a letter grade of "D" or higher or Pass/Fail courses with a "P." The course description specifies the number of credits for each course.

Part-time students take eleven or fewer credits a term; full-time students take twelve to eighteen. Students expecting to earn a bachelor's degree in the traditional span of four years should take fifteen to eighteen credits a semester.

Enrollment Status is determined by the following:

  • 1 -11 semester hours is part-time
  • 12 - 18 semester hours is full-time
  • 19 semester hours or more constitutes an overload; it requires special permission and students are charged additional per credit hour tuition.
  • Academic advisors must sign off on all overloads of 19-21 credits.
  • The Dean's Office must sign off on all overloads of 22 credits or above.

Class standing is a function of credits earned:

  • Freshman.................... 0-29 credits
  • Sophomore................ 30-59 credits
  • Junior........................ 60-89 credits
  • Senior.......................... 90+ credits

Grades and Grade Point Average

Faculty have primary responsibility for assigning grades, but they do not give them; rather, students must earn them. Grades represent a faculty member's impartial, professional evaluation of a student's work on a given assignment or in a given course.
At the outset of any course, the students taking it should receive a course syllabus including a clear statement of the course requirements and grading standards. Students who do not receive such a document should promptly ask their faculty member to provide it. In the unlikely event the faculty member does not comply, the requesting student has the responsibility to request the information from the appropriate department chair or dean.

The department chair or dean has the responsibility to assist the requesting student to obtain, in writing, a clear statement of the course requirements and grading standards.

A student who does not complete a course by the end of the term may request and may be granted, at the faculty member's discretion, an "I" (Incomplete). The "I" in a given course must be completed within a period of time set by the faculty member. This time period may not exceed one year from the end of the semester in which the course was taken.

An Incomplete Grade Request Form detailing the conditions under which the "I" is permitted must be signed by both the student and the faculty member. If the agreed upon conditions are not fulfilled, the "I" grade will be changed to the grade stipulated in section V of the Incomplete Grade Request Form. If no grade is stipulated, the "I" will be changed to an "F." The student is responsible for contacting the faculty member and ensuring that all expectations in regard to removal of an "I" grade and the completion of a change of grade form are met. The faculty member will complete the change of grade form when all expectations are met.

The grade "P" (Passing) indicates that credits are earned and quality points are not computed. The grade "N" (No Credit) in a course taken under the Pass-No Credit option indicates that no credits are earned and quality points are not computed.
All grade changes must be processed within one calendar year.

Changes of the recorded grade will be considered under exceptional circumstances upon the recommendation of the faculty member, the approval of the department chair, school dean, and the Registrar. Changes of the recorded grade resulting from a student grievance must follow the established grievance procedure contained in this catalog.

The grade "AU" (Audit) indicates that no credits have been given in a course. In any semester, a student may change his or her status to audit until the end of the add-drop period but a student may not change from audit status to credit enrollment. Undergraduate student academic performance is measured by computation of the Grade Point Average (G.P.A.). In this system letter grades are given the following numerical (grade point) values:



 A  4.00
 A-  3.75
 B+  3.25
 B  3.00
 B-  2.75
 C+  2.25
 C  2.00
C- 1.75
D 1.00
F 0.00

The G.P.A. is determined by multiplying the numerical (grade point) value earned in each course by the number of credits assigned to that particular course, summing the total Grade Points, and dividing by the total number of credits earned.
The effect of an "F" grade on the G.P.A. can be removed only by successful repetition of the course at Point Park University.
Should a student repeat a course in an effort to improve a grade, it will be the last earned grade, whether higher or lower, that is computed in the G.P.A. Each attempt to complete the course and grade  earned will be listed on the student's transcript as the official record of the student's academic progress. Students may not repeat a failed course at another institution for credit.

Grade Appeals

Students who believe a final grade in a given course represents an inaccurate evaluation of their work have the right to appeal. A student begins the appeals process by discussing the issue with the faculty member who assigned the grade. In doing so, the student should be prepared to demonstrate how the assigned grade fails to reflect the faculty member's stated course requirements and grading standards.

If the discussion with the faculty member does not produce a mutually satisfactory resolution, the student's next step in this procedure is to meet with the instructor's department chair. The chair reviews the issue with the student. If at the end of that discussion the student wishes to file a formal appeal, the chair advises the student how to proceed.

Appeals must occur within four weeks of the succeeding fall/spring semester and must be submitted to the department chair in writing. Written appeals will show the extent to which a disputed grade fails to correspond with the faculty member's stated course requirements and grading standards. They must also indicate the date on which the student-to-faculty member grade discussion took place.

A department chair receiving a written appeal will appoint a department committee of three faculty members to sit on an ad hoc appeals committee. Department chairs unable to convene their committees within two weeks of receiving the student's written appeal will notify the Dean of their School to that effect. When the committee does meet to consider the appeal, at least one of its members will have professional familiarity with the content of the subject course. Based on the committee's deliberations, the department chair will either sustain the grade or ask the faculty member to change it.

The grade change outcome can result in the original grade being raised or lowered. Students who believe that the departmental process resulting in the dismissal of their appeal was flawed may petition the dean of the school in which the course is offered for reconsideration on these grounds. Students must submit in writing an evidentially-supported petition, and they must do so within one week of receiving the results of the departmental appeals review. The school dean, within one week, will consider such materials carefully and either conclude the appeals process or convene a grievance committee.

If a grievance committee does convene, it will do so expeditiously, and the school dean will serve as its chair. Grievance committees have three voting members: a student and two faculty members who sit on the academic standing subcommittee of the School. The purpose of a grievance committee is to determine whether a grade is both fair and reasonable, nothing more; thus, grievance committees limit their activities to making those determinations. Depending on the committee's determination, the Dean will accordingly either sustain the awarded grade or see that the grade is changed. The grade change outcome can result in the original grade being raised or lowered. The Dean's action ends the appeals process.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

Probation status may affect financial aid eligibility. Students on continued probation should consult the Financial Aid Office.
Students admitted or placed on academic probation are subject to the following conditions:

Initial Probation

Students are placed on initial probation when they fail to meet the minimum G.P.A. requirement for their academic class level, determined as follows:

  • Freshman (1-29 credits) G.P.A. of 1.80
  • Sophomore (30-59 credits) G.P.A. of 2.00
  • Junior (60-89 credits) G.P.A. of 2.00
  • Senior (90+ credits) G.P.A. of 2.00

Continued Probation

Students remain on probation if they fail a second time to attain the minimum G.P.A. requirement for their academic level. Students may remain enrolled on continued probation for a third term only if their G.P.A. has shown a marked improvement.


  1. Students who fail to earn the minimum required G.P.A. for the term during which they are on continuing probation are subject to dismissal.
  2. Students who fail to earn a cumulative G.P.A. of 1.00 for the term during which they are on initial probation are subject to dismissal.
  3. Students must maintain a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.00 in required courses in order to continue in a major. Some majors have higher minimums for remaining in the major, consult the requirements for your major in this catalog.

The disregard of academic rules and regulations may subject a student to dismissal.

Course Additions and Withdrawals

The schedule for course changes, including withdrawal, is listed on the University web site and published by the Office of the Registrar. Courses may be added to or dropped from a student's academic schedule online or by completing an Schedule Change form.

After the period specified, the faculty member has the option to give a grade of "W" or "F," up to and including the last day to withdraw. Schedule Change forms may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. Should a "W" or "F" be placed on a student's record, it remains a permanent part of that record.

International students must contact the University's International Student Office before initiating a course withdrawal.
Because current and future financial aid may be jeopardized by processing a "W" or "F," students are advised to consult the Office of Financial Aid prior to completing the transaction.

Complete Withdrawal

Students wishing to withdraw from the University before or after the beginning of a term must use a Complete Withdrawal Form to drop all classes and deliver the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. The date the Office of the Registrar processes the completed form is the effective date of complete withdrawal.

To complete the form, you will need the following signatures in this order or the form will not be processed:

  • Academic Student Success Center
  • Student Financial Services Center
  • ISD (applicable only for International Students)
  • Office of the Registrar

All recipients of federal financial aid need to be aware that their financial aid package will be adjusted under the Return of Title IV funds policy if the student withdraws from all of their classes. Go to the Return of Title IV Funds
policy for more information.


Unexcused Absences

Classroom attendance at Point Park University is the responsibility of the student. The University encourages students to attend all classes. Attendance requirements in any course are set by the faculty member.

Notification of Extended and Serious Illness

Students who miss class for serious and extended illnesses may request the  assistance of the Student Health and Counseling office in notifying their faculty members. The responsibility of arranging to make up missed assignments or to submit assignments late belongs to the student.

Participation in certain University events and/or work related travel may, at the discretion of the faculty member, constitute an excused absence.

Excused Absences

Students must report consecutive (i.e., two or more) absences because of illness or injury to the Health and Psychological Services Information Center in Room 203, Thayer Hall. In cases of prolonged absence, HAPSIC will notify the appropriate faculty, who, in this instance, have an obligation to try to accommodate the student attempting to satisfy all course requirements. The responsibility for arranging to make up missed assignments or to submit assignments late belongs with the student.

Participation in certain University events and/or work related travel may, at the discretion of the instructor, constitute an excused absence.

Leave of Absence

Students must fill out a Leave of Absence form if a) they are full-time and will miss one or more semesters, b) are part-time and will miss two or more semesters. Failure to do so will require them to go through readmission in Office of Full-Time Admissions or the Office of Graduate and Adult Enrollment, and to follow the program guide in effect the term of their return.

Students who have been granted a Leave of Absence and who have successfully completed 30 or more credits with a G.P.A. of 2.00 or above at Point Park University may return within a two-year period and remain on the program guide which they were following during their last term of attendance at the University. The Conservatory of  Performing Arts requires performance majors to re-audition for artistic acceptance after a one-year absence from school.

Pass / No Credit Option

To encourage exploration and experimentation in academic areas in which a student may have limited familiarity, courses may be taken on a Pass/No Credit basis under the following conditions: "P" will be recorded for "A", "B", "C," and "D" grades and "N" will be recorded for an "F" grade. Neither the "P" nor the "N" will affect the G.P.A. Only general college electives may be taken on the Pass/No Credit option. Baccalaureate degree candidates may choose a maximum of eight Pass/No Credit courses, and associate degree candidates are limited to four such courses. Only one course during any term may be so elected. Courses taken under the Pass/No Credit option must be designated as such before the end of the Schedule Change period for each semester or summer session. In some instances, a course may be announced as one in which "P" and "N" will be the only grades. For example, departments may offer non-traditional courses that include travel, a practicum, field work or other components that may be difficult or impossible to evaluate through testing or other traditional means.

Advanced Standing Credit

The University may grant Advanced Standing Credits as explained below. These credits, designated with "PT" on the transcript, carry no quality points. In general, the University awards transfer credit for courses completed at other accredited institutions, passed with a grade of "C" or above, (a C- is not acceptable) and having comparable content and classroom attendance to the course at Point Park University. The University will not grant credit for remedial, physical education or other analogous courses designated as nontransferable. Not all credit granted will apply toward the student's degree program and as such, will count as elective credits. Evaluation and acceptance of credits completed ten years or more prior to the transfer request is exceptional. The ultimate decision in such cases resides with the school dean.

Point Park University awards credit in semester hours. One credit is equivalent to 14 hours of class meeting time or equivalent instructional activities. Laboratories generally meet at least twice that amount of time per semester hour. The maximum number of credits the University will grant for work completed through any combination at two-year colleges, proprietary schools, or the first two years at a four-year college is 70 credits. The University may grant an additional 20 credits, bringing the total to 90, for courses completed at the 300 and 400 levels at four-year colleges and universities. Ninety-six credits may be accepted from the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Sciences in the Capstone B.S. degree in Specialized Professional Studies in Funeral Services. All students must meet the residency requirements stated in the section on Graduation Requirements.

Students must submit official transcripts from each college or school attended and official records of test scores to the Office of Full-Time Admissions or the Office of Graduate and Adult Enrollment in order to receive Advanced Standing Credit. Applicants cannot expect to receive a final evaluation of credits until the Office of Full-Time Admissions or the Office of  Graduate and Adult Enrollment has received the application for admission and all previous academic records. The applicant must ensure that the appropriate enrollment office has received these records. Transfer students may submit course descriptions and syllabi to assist in the course evaluation process. Because preliminary evaluations proceed as the transcripts arrive, students should begin the transfer process as early as possible to provide accurate information during registration. Final evaluations of transfer credits are conducted once official transcripts have been received from the institutions where the credits were originally earned.

Credit for courses completed at other institutions prior to matriculation at Point Park University

Four-Year Colleges and Universities

The University may grant credit for courses completed with a grade of "C" or higher at other accredited four-year colleges and universities prior to matriculation at Point Park University.

Two-Year Community Colleges and Junior Colleges

The University may grant credit for courses completed with a grade of "C" or higher at accredited two-year community colleges and junior colleges prior to matriculation at Point Park University.

Proprietary Schools

The University may grant credit for courses completed at accredited proprietary schools prior to matriculation at Point Park University. Holders of the Associate in Specialized Technology or Associate in Specialized Business degrees will receive credit based on established transfer arrangements or on a case by case basis

Credit for courses completed at other institutions while enrolled at Point Park University

Students currently enrolled at Point Park University who wish to earn credit for work completed at other institutions during the summer or any other academic term (with the exception of full-time students who cross-register) must obtain permission from their academic advisors and school dean prior to completing the course(s) and must earn a grade of "C" or above; a "C-" is not acceptable. Students may request this permission by filing a Request to Take Courses at Another Institution form to be approved by the Dean's office. International students who request to take courses at another institution must also receive permission from the International Student Office. Students may not repeat failed Point Park University courses for credit at another institution.

Requests to take courses at another institution

Point Park University maintains the following policies concerning requests to take courses at another institution:

  1. The student must have a status of sophomore or higher.
  2. The student must have a Q.P.A. of 2.00 or higher.
  3. No more than one course per semester (two courses during the summer) may be taken.
  4. No more than a total of six courses from the time of matriculation to graduation will be permitted.
  5. Restrictions for specific majors may apply.
  6. On first admission a student may transfer to Point Park University no more than 70 credits from a two year college (courses at the 100 and 200 level). An additional 20 credits may be granted at the 300 and 400 level for a total of 90 credits.

Advanced Placement Examinations

The University may grant credit for scores of three or higher on advanced placement examinations offered by the College Entrance Examination Board.

Armed Services

Using the American Council on Education Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, the University may grant credit for educational experiences in the armed services. In order to be considered for Advanced Standing Credit, students must submit appropriate documentation to the Director of Transfer Advisement, preferably from the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service  or DDT 214 or 295 forms.

College Level Courses or Workshops

Students who have successfully completed courses or workshops for college credit through in-service training may submit an official transcript for consideration. The University may grant credit based on the American Council on Education in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

College Level Examination Program

CLEP enables those with education obtained in a non-traditional manner to become eligible for college credit. The University may grant credit for CLEP results at or above the level recommended by the University Entrance Examination Board. Students may receive up to 30 credits for the General Examinations and an additional 30 credits based on Subject Examinations. The provost, in coordination with the appropriate school dean, determines course equivalencies for each examination. Credits obtained in this fashion do not satisfy the residency requirement.

Credit by Examination

The University may grant matriculated students credit by examination for any course offered at Point Park University for which a CLEP test is not available and for which testing is an appropriate method of evaluation, as determined at the discretion of the department offering the course. Students must sit for the exam prior to taking the sequence course; for example, a student seeking credit by exam for ACCT 101 would have to take that exam before taking ACCT 102. Application forms for these examinations are available from the chair of the department offering the course. The Registrar must receive recommendations for credit by examination at least one full term prior to graduation. Courses in different departments must be requested on separate forms. Credits obtained in this fashion do not satisfy the residency requirement.

Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)

The Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES) gives qualified military personnel the opportunity to obtain academic credit, gain admission to college, and receive professional certification on the basis of independent study and job experiences. This program is also available to civilian students at all American colleges and universities. The University may grant credit for the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests if the scores meet or exceed the level recommended by the American Council on Education. The University will grant no more than thirty credits for these exams. The provost, in consultation with the appropriate school dean, determines course equivalencies for each examination. Students should be aware that a maximum total of sixty credits may be earned through a combination of CLEP and DANTES, and that credits obtained in this fashion do not satisfy the residency requirement.

Experiential Learning

The University may grant credit for experiential learning to students whose life or professional experiences encompass college-level learning. Before seeking such credit a student must have completed a minimum of six credits at Point Park University. Application forms are available from the chair of the department concerned with the discipline at issue. A completed application includes a petition from the student, documentation from workplace supervisors, a portfolio or other evidence of acquired learning, and any other information deemed relevant by the respective department. The chair will review the petition and, in some cases, request further information before making his or her recommendation. Students must submit credit applications for different departments on separate forms.

The Registrar must receive recommendations for experiential learning credit at least one term prior to graduation. Under no circumstances will a student receive more than eighteen credits for experiential learning. Credits obtained in this fashion do not satisfy the residency requirement.

Recognition of Academic Achievement

Point Park students who achieve academic excellence are recognized by the University through a variety of honors and special awards.

Graduation Honors

Honors upon baccalaureate graduation are awarded as follows:

  • Q.P.A. of 3.50 to 3.69 Cum Laude
  • Q.P.A. of 3.70 to 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
  • Q.P.A. of 3.90 to 4.0 Summa Cum Laude

Honors are awarded to students who meet the University’s residency requirement.

Outstanding Senior Awards

A highlight of the Point Park commencement is the presentation of Outstanding Senior Award by the Alumni Association.

The Alumni Association Outstanding Graduate Award is presented to a senior in recognition of scholastic achievement, commitment to the community, a strong work ethic and service to Point Park University.
Departmental Academic Excellence Awards

Each of the University’s academic departments, based on departmental criteria, identifies its most distinguished undergraduate and graduate student.

Dean’s List

The Dean’s List publicly acknowledges superior academic performance of full-time students successfully completing twelve or more credits during the semester. To appear on the Dean’s List, a student must have earned a Term Quality Point Average of 3.50 and no grade less than a "C". Full-time students become eligible for the Dean’s List at the end of the fall and spring semesters.

Upon the completion of 12 credits, part-time students become eligible for Dean’s List recognition at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Students in this category must maintain a cumulative Q.P.A. of 3.50 or higher and earn no grade lower than "C" in that semester.

Who’s Who

Each year approximately 30 Point Park University juniors and seniors are included in Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, the prestigious directory of student leaders representing 1,000 American institutions of higher learning.

Alpha Chi

Alpha Chi is a national honor scholarship society which promotes academic excellence and exemplary character among full-time undergraduate college and university students and honors those achieving such distinction. Point Park University’s Pennsylvania Eta Chapter was chartered in 1982. Membership is open to those junior and senior students who meet Alpha Chi’s membership criteria:

  1. good reputation and character;
  2. have a minimum Q.P.A. of 3.5 and highest ranking 10% of junior or senior class;
  3. minimum of 60 credits earned;
  4. at least 45 credits earned at Point Park University for transfer students;
  5. must be enrolled as a full-time student during the current semester and for two regular semesters immediately preceding.
Alpha Sigma Lambda

Alpha Sigma Lambda is a national honorary society for part-time students. Point Park University’s Gamma Epsilon chapter was chartered in 1982 and is one of two in Western Pennsylvania. Membership is limited to those who meet Alpha Sigma Lambda’s membership criteria.

English Placement

Based on their high school transcripts and SAT scores, full-time students may be required to take an English Placement Examination during Orientation and subsequently placed in an appropriate entry-level English course.

During their first year on campus, students must successfully complete the ENGL 150/151 writing sequence or its equivalents. Those entering Point Park University on the basis of transfer agreements with other institutions receive full academic credit for any comparable writing sequence, as do those presenting adequate scores on CLEP, DANTES, or AP examinations.

The University expects its graduates to have the ability to communicate effectively and correctly. That expectation informs this institution’s sustained commitment to the teaching of writing and its firm adherence to established standards.

Modern Language Placement

Modern Language faculty make the determination on course placement for students continuing post-secondary study of a modern language. Course placement for transfer students corresponds to the competency level implied by the credits transferred. Students wishing merely to demonstrate proficiency in a modern language may do so through CLEP, DANTES, or the Advanced Placement Examination of the CEEB.


Registration is critically important. It is the recurring process through which students gain entry to the classes they wish to attend. Only students officially registered for a given section of a given course may attend class, earn a grade, and receive credit for their work.

Using the applicable available course listing on Point Web and the University web site, currently enrolled students must register for the next term during a specified registration period. Students can register for classes with his/her Student ID using the on-line registration system within Point Web. To obtain the best selection of courses, students are encouraged not to wait until the start of the semester to register as classes can fill up quickly. Be advised that in order to proceed with the registration process, students must clear academic, financial, and non-financial requisites. Full-time entering students register during one of the designated orientation periods, while entering part-time students register through the Office of Graduate and Adult Enrollment. Continuing students register with their academic school. Registration is the responsibility of the student. To discharge that responsibility with confidence, students should use the pre-registration period to meet with their academic advisors and/or Student Success Centers. In those meetings, students can confirm the appropriateness and efficacy of their planned course of study. Academic advisors must sign off on all overloads of 19-21 credits. The Dean's Office must sign off on all overloads of 22 credits or above. Students on probation who want to register for more than 12 credits (full-time) or 6 credits (part-time) must have the written approval of the appropriate school dean.

By completing the online registration process, a student is agreeing to pay all charges on the tuition and fee account when due. The student also acknowledge that failure to make a required payment by the stated deadline can result in late payment charges, inability to register for a future term, and/or withholding of a transcript and/or diploma. Further, this debt would be considered an educational loan. By completing this registration "under seal" the student is aware that collection activities may continue for up to 20 years. In event of collection procedures or a suit to collect unpaid balances on the student's account, the student will be charged all of the University's costs for collections, including legal fees, not to exceed 50% of the entire outstanding balances.
The Registrar may assess fees, payable in advance, for both late registration and late schedule changes. Registration and schedule changes become official only when officially approved by the Registrar.


Point Park University participates in the protocol of cross-registration subscribed to by the Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE), which gives students access to courses offered at Carlow University Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, the Community College of Allegheny County (all campuses), Duquesne University, La Roche College, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Robert Morris University, and the University of Pittsburgh. Full-time students who are registered for twelve or more credits may crossregister for one course a semester at the host institution. Cross-registration is available during the fall and spring terms only. Before cross-registering, students must secure the written approval of their departmental advisor, the Registrar, and the school dean. Transcripts will reflect grades and credits earned in consequence of any cross-registration.


Point Park University students, who have completed three or more credits, and graduates, may request copies of official or unofficial transcripts from the Registrar. Persons desiring a transcript must complete a Transcript Request form or write a letter of request. The University collects a modest processing fee for the transcript service. The Registrar cannot release transcripts to any person or agency without proper authorization, in writing, from the student or graduate, and the Registrar cannot release transcripts, official or otherwise, to any person with outstanding financial debts to the University.

The Registrar responds to transcript requests in three to five working days. Persons wishing to pick up transcripts in person must give the Registrar twenty-four hour notice.

Reserve Officers Training Corps Program

Duquesne University - Army ROTC

The Army ROTC Program is open on a voluntary basis to all male and female students at Point Park University through a cross-registration agreement with Duquesne University. It provides students with the opportunity to earn a commission as an officer in the US Army, US Army Reserves or Army National Guard. The program is structured to give the student a variety of practical experiences in leading and managing people and resources while learning about the military profession and the role it plays in our system of government. Four-year and two-year programs are offered, both of which are taken in conjunction with a student’s required or normal course of study leading to a degree.

Further information may be obtained by calling (412) 396-1709.

University of Pittsburgh - Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps

The AFROTC program is open to all full-time Point Park University students through a cross-registration agreement with the University of Pittsburgh.

The AFROTC offers both a two- and a four-year program leading to a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force. As an Air Force officer, the individual will serve as a pilot, navigator, missile launch officer, engineer, computer scientist or other type of specialist. Students enrolled in the AFROTC devote a limited number of hours each week to the program with time remaining for the normal academic, social and athletic activities offered by the University. The AFROTC program is open to all full-time students who are U.S. citizens or are eligible for citizenship.

In addition to the academic portion of the curriculum, each student attends one hour per week of Leadership Laboratory. The theory of leadership and management is given practical application in the Leadership Laboratory; it is a cadet-centered activity.

For additional information contact the Air Force ROTC Office, University of Pittsburgh, Room 2917, Cathedral of Learning, 4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pa. 15260. Telephone: 412-624-6396/6397.

Notice of Non-Discrimination

Point Park University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, ancestry or disability in the administration of any of its educational programs, activities, or with respect to admissions or employment. This policy is in accord with State and Federal laws, including Title VI of the Education amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975. Inquiries regarding these policies may be referred to the Director of Human Resources, 2nd Floor, Thayer Hall, telephone number 412-392-3952.