Writing and Math Centers Helping Students Throughout the Writing Process
The Writing Center consults with students in courses across any curriculum at all stages of the writing process. The Writing Center is open and accepting drop-in appointments during hours of operation in room 714 of West Penn.
Schedule for the Writing Center can be found on the CSS bulletin board on the fifth floor of West Penn Hall (please note: schedule is subject to change).
The Writing Center can help with:
- the overall writing process
- understanding the assignment handout
- getting started, brainstorming and prewriting
- writing the thesis statement
- organization strategies
- grammar, usage and style skill development
- proofreading strategies
- correctly documenting sources
- understanding and responding to instructor feedback
- other questions you have about your writing
What should students bring to a writing consultation?
- whatever writing you have done on your assignment (but it's OK if you haven't started)
- the assignment handout and any guidelines from your instructor
- any texts or other materials you are using in the assignment
No appointment is necessary. Drop-in hours are posted on the fifth floor of the West Penn Building.
Online Tutoring for Writing Assignments
Online Writing Tutoring provides feedback for specific questions and concerns. The student using online writing tutoring should be prepared to engage in a dialogue with a professional consultant via online submission through PointWeb. The online consultant does not edit or proofread student papers.
Get the Most out of the Online Writing Center
- Don't wait until the last minute to write your paper. You want to allow yourself enough time to get a response from the consultant and, if necessary, ask further questions and get additional responses.
- Response time will be within two business days.
- Explain your assignment as fully as possible. The more the consultant knows about what you are working on, the more the consultant can help you. You have the option of attaching your assignment handout. You must attach your writing assignment as a Word file.
- Expect to be an active participant in the tutoring process. It is your assignment. The consultant is simply providing feedback for your questions.
How to Use the Online Writing Center
Online Writing Center support is accessed exclusively through PointWeb.
Follow this process to submit your request and attach your document:
- Log in to PointWeb >
- Click on the Students tab at the top >
- Click on the Center for Student Success folder >
- Click on Tutor Services drop down >
- Select Writing Center Request
Complete the form, attach your document(s), and click submit. You will receive feedback within two business days of your online writing submission.
The Math Center is avalibale to students in math and science courses across the curriculum in all levels. The Math Center is open during hours of operation on the fifth floor of West Penn.
Schedule for the Math Center can be found on the CSS bulletin board on the fifth floor of West Penn Hall (please note: schedule is subject to change).
If you have questions, please contact Natacia Owens, Student Success Coordinator for Tutoring Services, email@example.com, 412-392-8132.