Cinema Application Process
How to Apply to the Cinema Arts Program
In order to apply and be admitted into the cinema production, cinema and media studies, animation and visual effects, screenwriting and the writing for screen and media program, prospective students must complete a two-step process:
- Academic admittance: Apply to Point Park Admission Office for academic admittance (Apply to Point Park if you have not already submitted an application).
- Artistic admittance: Submit your artistic portfolio. Applicants are required to submit their portfolio via digital submission through Acceptd via Point Park University's Acceptd home page.
PLEASE NOTE: An in-person, portfolio interview is no longer mandatory for cinema applicants. Cinema portfolios will now be reviewed by the faculty upon receipt and applicants will be notified of artistic decision and possible artistic achievement award as academic and artistic decisions are made. The cinema faculty reserve the right to request a phone or in-person interview as necessary; however, it is no longer mandatory unless requested by the faculty.
Artistic Portfolio Guidelines
Your artistic portfolio should include the following:
A. Personal Essay
Your personal essay should be 550-750 words and should include (but not limited to):
- Professional and artistic goals
- Description of who you are as a person
- Discussion of the types of films, art and/or stories you are interested in creating
B. Creative Resume
Listed work and all work included in your creative work samples should be listed on your resume and should include a brief description, year of completion and your role in its creation. In addition, the creative resume may also include software and/or technical skills, related organizations and activities, awards/recognitions and related coursework.
C. Creative Work Sample
Cinema production, animation and visual effects or screenwriting applicants should provide 1-5 sample(s) of your creative work that best demonstrates your abilities in the area that you are applying to including (but are not limited to):
- Animation and Visual Effects applicants: video, animation, visual effects work, graphics, studio arts (drawing, painting, sculpting, set design, etc.)
- Screenwriting and Writing for Screen and Media applicants: writing samples: film/play scripts, essays, short stories, creative writing pieces, etc.
- Cinema Production and Cinema and Media Studies applicants: video, media arts, film, short-films, YouTube videos, photography, music, writing samples
If you have any questions regarding the cinema application process, please contact the Conservatory of Performing Arts at 412-392-3451 or email@example.com.