Senior Teaching Artist
- B.A., Film/Television Production, Penn State University
- Production I, II, III and IV
- Intermediate Cinematography
- Documentary Production Workshop
- Advanced Cinematography
- Special Topics
John Rice began his career in feature films working on George Romero’s zombie classic Dawn of the Dead. As director and director of photography, Rice’s commercial work has garnered Clio, Addy, Mobius, and Art Director's Club awards. His work as director of photography for features and documentaries has been broadcast nationally on PBS and screened at the Sundance Film Festival and numerous other film festivals around the world.
Recent work directed by Rice includes: Dumpster (winner of Best Drama/Comedy at The Indie Gathering Festival; winner of Best International Comedy–Mid Length Film at the Calgary Fringe Festival), Milk Crate (Greetings from Pittsburgh: Neighborhood Narratives, Beverly Hills Hi-Def Film Festival) and Mr. Pleasant (Three Rivers Film Festival and numerous other screenings around the country). Rice is a founding member and former programmer for Silk Screen, an Asian-American Film Festival. Recent work includes collaboration on Tony Buba projects including We are Alive!, The Fight to Save Braddock Hospital and the Sierra Leone Amistad Africans project.
- Silk Screen: Asian Arts & Culture Organization
Selected Artistic Works
- Mr. Pleasant, Director, 2010
- Milk Crate, Writer/Director, 2008
- Dumpster, Director, 2005
- Best Drama/Comedy, Dumpster, The Indie Gathering Festival, 2006
- Best International Comedy, Mid length, Dumpster, Calgary Fringe Festival, 2006
- Best Drama Feature, Programmer's Award, Dumpster, 2006
- Second Place, Feature, Dumpster, Secret City Film Festival, 2006
- Silver Medal, Best Film Under 75 Minutes, Dumpster, Everglades International Film Festival, 2007
- Honorable Mention, Mr. Pleasant, Los Angeles Reel Film Festival and Columbus International Film Festival, 2011
- Honorable Mention, Best Ensemble Cast, Mr. Pleasant, L.A. Independent Filmmakers Showcase, 2012
Point Park Feature
- "Faculty Q&A: Meet John Rice, Senior Teaching Artist, Cinema and Digital Arts," Point Park website, March 21, 2013.