Kiesha Lalama, M.F.A.
- M.F.A., Interdisciplinary Arts, Goddard College
- B.A., Dance, Point Park University
- Jazz Dance Technique
- Dance Composition I, II
- Senior Project
Choreographer and educator Kiesha Lalama has created more than 40 works to date. Her conceived and choreographed full-length dance theatre production, The Bench, received rave reviews and was honored to be named to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's "Best of Dance" Top Ten list in 2009 and 2010. Lalama has created works for companies such as Ballet Arkansas, Eisenhower Dance Ensemble, Houston Metropolitan Dance Company, Jazz Dance World Congress, Missouri Contemporary Ballet, the Youth American Grand Prix, Kansas City Starlight Theatre and the film Sorority Row.
Lalama has taught master classes and workshops for Cirque Du Soleil, Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago, Houston Metropolitan Dance Company, Eisenhower Dance Ensemble, Oakland University, Carnegie Mellon University, Wright State University, Chautauqua Regional Youth Ballet, Booker T. Washington H.S. for the Performing and Visual Arts and Dance Educators of America.
Lalama is currently working on premiering two new works choreographed for Wright State University and the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company.
- Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera, education director
- National High School Musical Theater Awards, project director and choreographer
Selected Choreographed Works
- The Bench, full-length dance theatre production
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower, film
- The National High School Musical Theater Awards on Broadway, featured in the PBS series Broadway or Bust
- All Shook Up, North Shore Music Theatre
- Alegria, Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago
- Torque, August Wilson Center Dance Ensemble
- A Grand Night for Singing, Pittsburgh CLO Cabaret Theater
- Aerial dance
- Civic engagement and community audience development
Selected Award and Honors
- Named as one of Dance Magazine's "25 to Watch," 2009.
- Leo's Award for Choreography, Jazz Dance World Congress.
- Named one of the "Top 12" and recipient of the Outstanding Choreography Award, The Youth American Grand Prix.
Point Park Features
- "Conservatory Dance Company Presents World Premiere of Five," Point Park University website, Feb. 2, 2016.
- "Freshman Dance Majors Perform at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh's Anniversary Gala," Point Park University website, Nov. 19, 2015.
- "Kiesha Lalama is featured choreographer in Dynamic Women of Dance," Point Park University website, March 9, 2012.
- "Dance faculty member brings her outside experiences to classroom," Point Park University website, Dec. 12, 2011.
- "Dance faculty member having a great year," Point Park University website, Aug. 3, 2009.
In the News
- "Dance to a Better Tune," The Royal Gazette, Aug. 16, 2019.
- "Kiesha Lalama Work is Centerpiece of Point Park Dancers' 2019-20 Season," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 30, 2019.
- "7 Days With the 2018 Jimmy Awards," Vulture, July 3, 2018.
- "Point Park University Presents Five," KDKA-TV, Feb. 4, 2016.
- "Conservatory Dance Company Explores Human Resilience in Five," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 3, 2016.
- "A leap to Broadway? Dance show sets sights on New York, national tour," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 28, 2013.
- "Music for class: Kiesha Lalama," Dance Teacher magazine, Jan. 2, 2013.
- "Meet the pros: Broadway or Bust," PBS website, Sept. 2012.
- "'Dynamic women of dance dazzle' at August Wilson Center," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 12, 2012.
- "Giordano's 'Alegria' swift and alluring at Harris," Chicago Tribune, Oct. 24, 2011.
- "'Bench' family: 'Something to be said for DNA,'" Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 10, 2009.