Rochelle Z. Klein, M.M.
- B.Mus., University of Michigan
- M.M., Duquesne University
- Toward M.Ed., Humanities, University of Pittsburgh
- Post-graduate, Carnegie Mellon University, Southern Methodist University: eurhythmics, piano pedagogy
- Piano-Theory Fundamentals I, II
- Sight Singing Fundamentals I, II
- Private Piano I-VI
- Piano Class
- Music Theory
- Foundations of Musical Theatre Techniques I, II
- Music Reading for Stage Managers
- Rehearsal and Performance
- Music Appreciation
- Arts and the Human Experience I, II
- Methods of Music and Art
- Music Education
- Additional Special Topics and Independent Studies
Noted for her convincing and passionate interpretation, Rochelle Klein is a pianist, a singer, a certified music educator and an arts administrator. She has garnered rich experience in performance, higher education, nonprofit arts and public education.
Klein's performances and programs have been reviewed in The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Detroit Free Press and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, among others. Her program development and implementation have won grant support from national and state agencies, corporations and foundations.
Klein is an associate professor in the musical theatre program at Point Park University's Conservatory of Performing Arts, where she teaches private and group piano, theory and sightsinging. For 20 years, she served as coordinator of both the music and core arts areas, creating eight courses, spearheading community engagement partnerships, mentoring faculty, and developing/administering sequences in music and in arts. Serving on strategic planning and curriculum alignment teams, she has aided Point Park’s transition from a college to a university with an increasingly selective Conservatory.
Funded projects she has secured or facilitated for Point Park include master classes by composers Marvin Hamlisch, Ricky Ian Gordon, Adam Gwon, and lecture-demo performances by artists from the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Cello Fury and Umoja Dance Company, among many. Previous posts include full-time Conservatory teaching artist and adjunct Education faculty.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Instructional II Music
- Best Practices Online Teaching Certification, The Learning House
- University of Michigan, Teacher Certification, Music
- Technology Institute for Music Educators, Level 1
- Dalcroze Society of America
- Pittsburgh Concert Society, board of directors
- Zohar Chamber Singers, founding soprano
- National Association for Music Education
- College Music Society/Northeast District
- Pittsburgh Piano Teachers Association
Selected Artistic Works
- Pittsburgh Symphony Student Chorale, contributing director
- All-Star College Chorus, contributing director, Pittsburgh Symphony Pops
- The Time of Your Life, music director/pianist, Pittsburgh Playhouse
- There's a Place for Us: Musical Theatre Resources in the Pittsburgh Area, DVD author/pianist
- Fiddler on the Roof, music director/pianist, Jr. Open Stage Players
- Once Upon a Mattress, music director/pianist, Jr. Open Stage Players
- Composer's Concert, guest artist, Tuesday Musical, Pittsburgh.
- Singing City, Music of the Spirit Festival, Manfred Honeck & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
- Scholarship Winners Recital, collaborative pianist, Tuesday Musical, Pittsburgh.
- Carmina Burana, Univ. of Michigan Choir, Rafael Frübeck & Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Carnegie Hall, New York.
- Legendary Steinways, piano soloist and clinician, University Club, Pittsburgh.
- Zohar Chamber Singers, Pittsburgh Jewish Music Festival/broadcasts, WQED-FM and Comcast Live On Demand.
- The Unicorn, Gorgon and Manticore, actress, Ann Arbor Civic Theatre and Cantata Singers.
- Carousel scene, music director/pianist and presenter, Pennsylvania Music Educators Association.
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems Conference, pianist, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Pages from a Diary, collaborative pianist with Karen Dryer, CD/performance, Tuesday Musical, Pittsburgh.
- Illinois Music Teachers National Association, piano soloist, Don Isaaks master class, Music Institute of Chicago.
- Outreach & engagement performances: Family Hospice & Palliative Care; Weinberg Terrace; Art Institute of Chicago.
- Author, "Louis Nagel, The People's Pianist," Clavier Companion.
- Author, "Growing Up with the Symphony: Reflections of a Pittsburgher," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Author, "Musica Instrumentalis" (poem), Teaching Artist Journal.
- Author, "The Value of Analysis," Music Theory: Explorations and Applications.
- Author, "The Value of Analysis" (thesis directed by Robert Shankovich), annotated by David Carson Berry in A Topical Guide to Schenkerian Literature: An Annotated Bibliography.
- Piano performance and pedagogy
- Music fundamentals; score analysis
- Musical theatre song literature; Sondheim
- Music and arts education; higher education
- Mindfulness and movement
- National Endowment for the Arts, chamber music panel grant, Young Audiences of Chicago
- Illinois Arts Council grants, Young Audiences of Chicago
- Stellar Music Teacher, Online Course Evaluations
- Edwina Uhl Babst award, University of Michigan