Rochelle Z. Klein, M.M.
- B.Mus. and Teacher Certification, University of Michigan
- M.M., Duquesne University
- Toward M.Ed., Humanities, University of Pittsburgh
- Post-graduate, Carnegie Mellon University, Southern Methodist University: eurhythmics, piano pedagogy
- Piano/Theory/Sight-Singing Fundamentals, I, II
- Private Piano I-VI
- Piano Class
- Music Theory
- Foundations of Musical Theatre Techniques I, II
- Music Reading for Stage Managers
- Rehearsal and Performance
- Music Appreciation
- Arts and the Human Experience I, II
- Methods of Music and Art
- Music Education
Noted for her convincing and passionate interpretation, Rochelle Klein is a pianist, a singer, a certified music educator and an arts administrator. She has garnered rich experience in performance, higher education, nonprofit arts and public education.
Klein's performances and programs have been reviewed in The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Detroit Free Press and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, among others. Her program development and implementation have won grant support from national and state agencies, corporations and foundations.
Klein is an associate professor in the musical theatre program at Point Park University's Conservatory of Performing Arts, where she teaches private and group piano, theory and sightsinging. For 20 years, she served as coordinator of both the music and core arts areas, creating eight courses, spearheading community engagement partnerships, mentoring faculty, and developing/administering sequences in music and in arts. Serving on strategic planning and curriculum alignment teams, she has aided Point Park’s transition from a college to a university with an increasingly selective Conservatory.
Funded projects she has secured or facilitated for Point Park include master classes by composers Marvin Hamlisch, Ricky Ian Gordon, Adam Gwon, and lecture-demo performances by artists from the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Cello Fury and Umoja Dance Company, among many. Previous posts include full-time Conservatory teaching artist and adjunct Education faculty.
- National Certified Teacher of Music, piano
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Instructional II Music
- Best Practices Online Teaching Certification, The Learning House
- Technology Institute for Music Educators, Level 1
- Pittsburgh Concert Society, board of directors
- Zohar Chamber Singers, founding soprano
- National Association for Music Education
- College Music Society/Northeast District
- Dalcroze Society of America
Selected Artistic Works
- Pittsburgh Symphony Pops, contributing director: Hamlisch-Page Student Choir; Student Chorale; All-Star College Chorus
- The Time of Your Life, music director/pianist, Pittsburgh Playhouse
- There's a Place for Us: Musical Theatre Resources in the Pittsburgh Area, DVD author/pianist
- Fiddler on the Roof, Once Upon a Mattress; music director/pianist, Jr. Open Stage Players
- Love is Here to Stay, A Tribute to Robert Page, Mendelssohn Choir and Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
- Composer's Concert, guest artist; Scholarship Winners Concert, collaborative pianist; Tuesday Musical, Pittsburgh.
- Singing City, Music of the Spirit Festival, Manfred Honeck & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
- Carmina Burana, Univ. of Michigan Choir, Rafael Frübeck & Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Carnegie Hall, New York.
- Legendary Steinways, piano soloist and clinician, University Club, Pittsburgh.
- Zohar Chamber Singers, Pittsburgh Jewish Music Festival/broadcasts, WQED-FM and Comcast Live On Demand.
- The Unicorn, Gorgon and Manticore, actress, Ann Arbor Civic Theatre and Cantata Singers.
- Carousel scene, music director/pianist and presenter, Pennsylvania Music Educators Association.
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems Conference, pianist, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Pages from a Diary, collaborative pianist with Karen Dryer, CD/performance, Tuesday Musical, Pittsburgh.
- Illinois Music Teachers National Association, piano soloist, Don Isaaks master class, Music Institute of Chicago.
- Outreach & engagement performances: Family Hospice & Palliative Care; Weinberg Terrace; Art Institute of Chicago.
- "Dalcroze Eurhythmics with Annabelle Joseph," Dalcroze Connections, Vol. 3, No. 2, Spring 2018.
- Author, "Louis Nagel, The People's Pianist," Clavier Companion.
- Author, "Growing Up with the Symphony: Reflections of a Pittsburgher," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Author, "Musica Instrumentalis" (poem), Teaching Artist Journal.
- Author, "The Value of Analysis," Music Theory: Explorations and Applications.
- Author, "The Value of Analysis" (thesis directed by Robert Shankovich), annotated by David Carson Berry in A Topical Guide to Schenkerian Literature: An Annotated Bibliography.
- Piano performance and pedagogy
- Music fundamentals; musical theatre song literature; score analysis
- Music and arts education
- Mindfulness and movement
- National Endowment for the Arts, chamber music panel grant, Young Audiences of Chicago
- Illinois Arts Council grants, Young Audiences of Chicago
- Stellar Music Teacher, Online Course Evaluations
- Edwina Uhl Babst award, University of Michigan