Andrew Richards, M.A.
Lecturer, Criminal Justice and Intelligence Studies
Coordinator, Undergraduate Criminal Justice Program
- Bachelor of Arts, Criminal Justice Administration, Alvernia University
- Master of Arts, Criminology, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Money Laundering
- Professional Communications
- Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Professional Responsibility
- National Intelligence Authorities
- International Criminal Law
- Intelligence Operations
- Domestic Terrorism
- International Terrorism
- Fraud Investigations
- Joint Task Forces
- Criminal Investigations
- Constitutional Law for Law Enforcement
- Courts and Criminal Trial
Andrew F. Richards, M.A., is a full-time instructor in the Department of Criminal Justice and Intelligence Studies and owner of Fraud Investigative Service, LLC. Richards is a retired federal agent of 25 years, where he was a national fraud subject matter expert for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. During this time, he received numerous awards for his investigations and leadership. Throughout his career, Richards supervised the Major (Violent) Crimes Team, Financial Crimes Task Force, and the White Collar Team. Previously, he was a police officer with the Reading Bureau of Police for five years. He has investigative expertise in criminal defense work, government agency contracts, civil litigation support and hidden asset location, and is listed nationally with Experts.com.
Areas of Investigation Expertise
- White collar crimes
- Armed robberies
- Mail bombs
- ID theft
- Presenter for "Recent Changes and Developments in White Collar Crime: A 2018 Perspective," The Knowledge Group webcast, Aug. 30, 2018.
- Fraud/forfeiture instructor in Macedonia at request of USDOJ-OPDAT
- NightTalk (PCNC-TV) - guest presenter on one-hour show regarding white-collar
- Testified before the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Consumer Affairs Committee regarding ID Theft and security breaches.
- Presenter at AARP Annual Conference with former Gov. Tom Corbett
- Fraud presenter at International Association of Financial Criminal Investigators state conferences
- Speaker at State Conference of the Pennsylvania Board of Register of Wills
- Speaker at Federal Trade Commission, Pittsburgh White-Collar conference
- Speaker at Federation of State Medical Boards national conference on medical fraud investigations
- Congressional and public affairs liaison for United States Postal Inspection Service in Washington, D.C.
- More than 200 presentations to civic and professional groups on fraud awareness and prevention
- Public information officer for 20 years, giving TV, radio and newspaper interviews on investigations
Selected Awards and Honors
- U.S. Attorney General's Outstanding Contributions in Law Enforcement Award - National Nominee
- Special Achievement Award U.S. Postal Inspection Service for $71 million fraud investigation
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Appreciation Award in a fraud investigation
- Agency Recognition Award for lead in homicide investigation
- Special Recognition for the national roll-out of Senior Action Coalition with Betty White as spokesperson
- Letter of Commendation, U.S. Attorney Western District of Pennsylvania - fraud investigations
- Letter of Appreciation, U.S. Attorney, Northern District of West Virginia - murder in aid of racketeering/fraud investigation
- National Fraud Subject Matter Expert for U.S. Postal Inspection Service
- Association of Certified Fraud Specialists
- Anti-Fraud Experts
- Criminal Justice Professionals
- Criminal Justice Security Career Institute
- Financial Crime Risk, Fraud and Security (U.K.)
- Internal Audit Professionals Fraud Prevention, Detection and Investigation
- Law Enforcement Professionals
- Professional Private Investigators
- Surveillance Investigators
- Unity One: International Investigations, Due Diligence, Security and Financial Fraud
In the News
- "Recent Changes and Developments in White Collar Crime: A 2018 Perspective," The Knowledge Group webcast, Aug. 30, 2018.
- "Scammers Turning To ‘Social Engineering’ To Steal Passwords & Identities," KDKA-TV, Feb. 9, 2018.
- "Expert Says of the Web: 'Chances Are, Your Information Is There," KDKA-TV, Sept. 14, 2017.
Point Park Features
- "National Criminal Justice Honor Society Alpha Phi Sigma Welcomes 20 New Members," Point Park University website, April 4, 2018.
- "Professor from University of Salford Manchester Presents to Point Park Intelligence Majors," Point Park University website, March 20, 2018.
- "Faculty Member Brings 25 Years of Criminal Investigation Experience Into the Classroom," Point Park University website, Jan. 25, 2016.