Arleen Wheat, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Special Education
- Bachelor of Education, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Education, University of Pittsburgh
- Supervisor of Special Education, University of Pittsburgh
- Superintendent Letter of Eligibility Principal Certification K-12, Duquesne University
- Doctor of Education, Duquesne University
- Professional Collaboration, Consultation and Communication
- High Incidence Disabilities - Evidence-Based Effective Instruction
- Differentiated Instructional Practices in the Inclusive Classroom
Arleen Wheat, Ed.D., is an associate professor of special education for Point Park University's education department. Prior to joining Point Park, she was assistant superintendent of special education and pupil services for North Allegheny School District. Before that, Wheat was North Allegheny's supervisor of special education. In addition, she has served in the roles of associate director of special education for Armstrong School District; supervisor of special education programs, Gateways inclusion specialist and special education teacher for Allegheny Intermediate Unit and director of U.S.A.A.C.'s summer program for the Education of Autistic Kids.
Wheat has done various media interviews and has expertise in the areas of autism, special education, gifted education, health services, psychological services, student assistance programs, school counseling, social work, ESL, homeschooling and home education.
- "Special Education Funding Formula Commission," Senator Browne, University of Pittsburgh, 2013.
- "Special Education Challenges Facing Pennsylvania School Districts," Pennsylvania Senate Majority Policy Committee, Harrisburg, Pa. 2013.
- "Charter School Written Testimony," North Hills School District Public Hearing, 2005.
- "Illuminating Contributors and Barriers to Women's Leadership: A University/State Association Partnership Towards Social Justice," University Council for Educational Administrators Convention Annual Conference, Nashville, Tenn., 2005.
- "The Development of Summer Recreation Programs for Students with Autism: The S.P.E.A.K. Model," Autism Society of America State Conference, Greensburg, Pa., 2001.
- "Inclusive Strategies for Schools," Allegheny Intermediate Unit, 1993-1995.
- "Behavior Management Strategies, Allegheny Intermediate Unit, 1993-1987.
Awards and Honors
- North Allegheny 2006 Distinguished Achievement Award, Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership Support Program
- North Allegheny 2005 Distinguished Achievement Award, Pennsylvania Association of School Administrators
- North Allegheny 2005 Distinguished Achievement Award, University Council for Educational Administrators
- Graduate Stipend Recipient Award, University of Pittsburgh, 1984
Point Park Features
- "Faculty Profile: Meet Arleen Wheat, Assistant Professor of Special Education," Point Park University website, Nov. 4, 2013.