Teacher Certification Program
Information for students interested in becoming a declared education major at Point Park University
While you have been admitted to the University, you cannot be accepted as an education major seeking teacher certification until all of the requirements established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education are fulfilled. The requirements to apply to the teacher certification program are listed below. For an application to the teacher certification program, click on the link below.
Application for Admission to Teacher Certification Program
Clearances and the Law
- Completion of 48 or more University credits;
- Overall 3.0 G.P.A.;
- Six credits of University-level math;
- Six credits of University-level English;
- Criminal Record Check (Act 34) clearance;
- Child Abuse History (Act 33) clearance;
- FBI clearance;
- Completion of nine credits of 200-level education classes;
- Passing scores for all pre-professional PRAXIS exams (scores must be provided to the education department); and
- Written documentation and verification of at least 40 hours of classroom observations
Once you have met all state-imposed criteria, your advisor in the education department will assist you in arranging for your acceptance into the Point Park education program of your choice. For the present time, your major will be "Education - Undeclared."
Advisors from Point Park's education department are available to discuss Pennsylvania teacher certification and Point Park University requirements.