Professor, French and Cultural Studies
Director, Global Cultural Studies Program
Coordinator, Modern Languages for the Humanities
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Education, University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Arts, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Philosophy, French language and literature, University of Pittsburgh
- French Phonetics
- French Fiction in Film
- Intermediate French II/Conversation
- Rosa Luxemburg: Feminist Socialist Leader
- Love and War in French Cinema
- Wealthy White Males
- "The Genealogy of the Honors Movement in American Higher Education," Point Park University, Pittsburgh, Pa., March 2012.
Selected Honors and Appointments
- Coordinator and founder of Point Park University's annual Global Cultural Studies "An Evening With..." Public Speakers' Series, an annual event featuring acclaimed speakers who address important global issues and have demonstrated an interest in deepening students’ knowledge of the world.
- Appointed director of international programs for the 2012 Prague Writers' Festival.
- Prague Writers’ Festival in the Czech Republic, April 2011:
- Interviewed Pulitzer Prize-winning author Junot Diaz, Nobel Laureate Derek Walcott, and author Don Delillo
- Met with Norman Eisen, U.S. Ambassador to the Czech Republic
In the News
- "Prague Writers' Festive opening in Pittsburgh; first time in U.S.," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct. 17, 2013.
- "E.L. Doctorow heads a roster of authors visiting town for the Prague Writers' Festival," Pittsburgh City Paper, Oct. 16, 2013
- "Love locks of Pittsburgh: street art with heart," Pop City, Oct. 31, 2012.
Point Park Features
- "International Faculty Come to Point Park From Around the Globe," Point Park University website, Feb. 23, 2016.
- "Prague Writers' Festival Makes its U.S. Debut at Point Park, Features Author E.L. Doctorow," Point Park University website, Oct. 28, 2013.
- "Teachable Moments with Channa Newman, Ph.D.," The Point, Winter 2013 issue.
- "Best-Selling Author Addresses Poverty Issues at Global Cultural Studies Event," Point Park University website, Nov. 20, 2012.
- "European 'love lock' tradition makes way to Schenley Park bridge," Point Park News Service, Oct. 2, 2012.
- "Professor Channa Newman to give March 13 lecture on "The Genealogy of the Honors Movement," Point Park University website Feb. 23, 2012.
- "Global Environmentalist Gives Inspiring Lecture at Point Park," Point Park University website, Nov. 9, 2011.
- "Global Cultural Studies Program Expands Horizon for Students," Point Park University website, Jan. 28, 2010