Gregg Johnson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering Technology
Chair, Department of Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technology
- Bachelor of Arts, Physics, Gustavus Adolphus College
- Doctor of Philosophy, Physics, Ohio University
- Differential Equations
- Communication Electronics
- Digital Electronics II
Gregg Johnson, Ph.D., associate professor of electrical engineering technology and chair of the Department of Natural Sciences and Engineering Technology at Point Park, has more than 15 years of experience working in and directing research and development teams in a wide range of environments, from government research labs to start-up companies to multinational corporations. Most recently, he was manager of hardware engineering at Cisco Systems in Atlanta, Ga. He has extensive hands-on engineering, manufacturing, and overall product-development expertise in analog and digital hardware design; fiber optic sensors and sensing techniques; design of fiber optic communication components and systems; design of highly sensitive and precise instrumentation; and nonlinear electronic systems and novel control techniques.
In addition, Johnson has seven years of college-level teaching experience including class lectures, lab instruction, and private instruction and tutoring. Johnson has filed 10 U.S. patent applications (seven granted to date) and has written more than 50 peer-reviewed publications in journals relating to physics and engineering. He also has done a wide range of conference proceedings spanning the topics of nonlinear dynamics and chaos, structural monitoring and optical fiber sensors and instrumentation.
- Manager, Hardware engineering, Cisco Systems, Atlanta, Ga.
- Technical director, Hardware engineering, 3 Phoenix Inc., Fairfax, Va.
- Vice president, Hardware and software engineering, Optinel Systems, Inc., Elkridge, Md.
- Research physicist, Fiber Optic Smart Structures section, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C.
- Post-doctoral research associate, Condensed Matter and Surface Sciences Group, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
- Teaching and research assistant, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
Selected Scholarly Publications
- "A Novel Bragg Grating Sensor Interrogation System Utilizing a Scanning Filter, a Mach-Zehnder
Interferometer, and a 3x3 Coupler," M. D. Todd, G.A. Johnson, and B. L. Althouse, Measurement Science
and Technology, 12, 771-777, (2001), (the journal's most downloaded paper of 2001).
- "Strain Sensing Based on Coherent Rayleigh Scattering in an Optical Fiber," Ralph Posey, G. A. Johnson, and
Sandeep Vohra, Electronics Letters, 36, 1688-1689, (2000).
- "A Passive, Light Intensity-Independent Interferometric Method for Fiber Bragg Grating Interrogation," M.D. Todd, G.A. Johnson and C. C. Chang. Electronics Letters, 35, 1970, (1999).
- "Synchronization and Imposed Bifurcations in the Presence of Large Parameter Mismatch," G. A. Johnson, D. J.
Mar, T. L. Carroll, and L. M. Pecora. Physical Review Letters, 80, 3956 (1998).
- "Parametric Feedback Resonance in Chaotic Systems," E. R. Hunt, G. A. Johnson, M. Löcher, E. Niebur,
and H. G. Schuster, Physical Review Letters 76, 400 (1996).
- "Spatiotemporal Stochastic Resonance in a System of Coupled Diode Resonators," M. Löcher, G. A.
Johnson and E. R. Hunt, Physical Review Letters 77, 4698 (1996).
Selected Conference Proceedings
- "Assessments of Grating-Based System Performance Characteristics in Practical Structural Applications," M.
D. Todd, S. T. Vohra and G. A. Johnson, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Optical Fiber
Sensors, Venice, Italy, 2000.
- "A System for High-Frequency and Quasi-Static Fiber Bragg Grating Interrogation," G. A. Johnson, M. D.
Todd and S. T. Vohra, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, Venice, Italy, 2000.
- "Rayleigh Scattering Based Distributed Sensing System for Structural Monitoring," R. Posey, G. A.
Johnson and S. T. Vohra, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, Venice, Italy, 2000.
- "Measurement of Pavement Response with Buried Fiber Bragg Grating-Based Soil Pressure Transducers," C.C. Chang, G. A. Johnson, B. Althouse and S. T. Vohra, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on
Optical Fiber Sensors, Venice, Italy, 2000.
- "Modular Fiber Optic Hull Monitoring System with Real Time Signal Processing," G. Sagvolden, K. Pran, G.
B. Havsgård, Ø. Farsund, G. Wang, G. A. Johnson and S. T. Vohra, Proceedings of the 14th
International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, Venice, Italy, 2000.
- "Surface Effect Ship Vibro-Impact Monitoring with a Distributed Array of Fiber Bragg Gratings," Gregg A.
Johnson, Karianne Pran, Geir Sagvolden, Øystein Farsund, Geir Bjarte Havsgård, Gunnar Wang and Alf Jensen,
Proceedings of the 13th International Modal Analysis Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 2000.
Magazine Articles and Book Chapters
- "Control of Chaos in Electronic Circuits," G. A. Johnson, M. Löcher, and E. R. Hunt, in The Handbook of Chaos, edited by H. G. Schuster, (Springer-Verlag: Berlin, 1999).
- "Stealth Communications," T. L. Carroll, G. A. Johnson and L. M. Pecora, Surface Warfare, 23, 30 (1998).
- "Controlling Chaos in Electronic Circuits," G. A. Johnson and E. R. Hunt, in Nonlinear Dynamics in Circuits, edited by T. Carroll and L. Pecora (World Scientific: Singapore, 1995).
- "Keeping Chaos at Bay," E. R. Hunt and G. Johnson, IEEE Spectrum, pp. 32-36, (Nov., 1993).
Selected U.S. Patent Disclosures
- "Optical dispersion compensation using a nonlinearly strained fiber Bragg grating," S. T. Vohra, E. Boettcher and G. A. Johnson, Patent No. 6,944,372.
- "Optical channel monitor with continuous gas cell calibration," G. A. Johnson and B. L. Althouse, Patent No. 6,619,864.
- "Multipassband scanning filter approach to calibration and optical monitoring of C and L bands," B. L. Althouse and G. A. Johnson, Patent No. 6,993,257.
- "Passive, temperature compensated techniques for tunable filter calibration in bragg-grating interrogation systems," G. A. Johnson, B. L. Althouse, G. Nau, Patent No. 6,573,489.
- "Optical sensing device containing fiber Bragg gratings," G. A. Johnson, M. D. Todd, C. C. Chang and B. L. Althouse, Patent No. 6,674,928.
- "Synchronizing autonomous chaotic systems using filters," T. L. Carroll and G. A. Johnson, Patent No. 6,370,248.
Point Park Features
- "Alumni Profile: Angel Melendez '17, Service Engineer for IMS Systems, Inc.," Point Park University website, Sept. 18, 2017.
- "Engineering Students Design New Annunciator Call System for Turtle Creek Fire Department," Point Park University website, May 31, 2017.
- "Electrical Engineering Major Offered at Point Park for Fall 2016," Point Park University website, April 1, 2016.
- "Chaos Topic of Electrical Engineering Technology Professor's Lecture," Point Park University website, April 11, 2014.
- "Engineering Technology Students Build Camera Dolly for Photography Department," Point Park University website, May 21, 2013.
- "Faculty Profile: Gregg Johnson, Electrical Engineering Technology," Point Park University website, Oct. 12, 2012.