Kristy Long, M.S.
Lecturer, Natural Sciences
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry Education, The Pennsylvania State University
- Master of Science, Chemistry, The University of New Mexico
- General Chemistry I and II
- General Chemistry Laboratory I and II
- Introduction to the Natural Sciences I
Kristy Long, M.S., is an instructor of natural sciences (focused on chemistry) for the Department of Natural Sciences and Engineering Technology at Point Park University. Long's chemistry classes at Point Park center on topics such as safety, measurement, density, chemical reactions, titrations, oxidation-reduction, gases and equilibrium. Prior joining Point Park as full-time faculty member, Long was a chemistry teacher for the North Pittsburgh Enrichment Program and a chemistry tutor for WyzAnt Tutoring. Before that, she was a laboratory scientist and chemical technician for Las Alamos National Lab in Los Alamos, N.M. Long began her teaching career as a chemistry teacher at Altoona Area High School in Altoona, Pa.
- "Separation of Pertechnetate from Uranium in a Simulated UREX Processing Solution Using Anion Exchange Extraction Chromatography," Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, 2013.
- "Anion Exchange Resins for the Selective Separations of Technetium from Uranium Carbonate Solutions, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2012.
- "Uranium/technetium separation for the UREX process-synthesis and characterization of solid reprocessing forms," Radiochim, 2008.
- "Exploring the Chemistry of the Actinides in Oral Presentation," LDRD-DR FIrst Year Project Appraisal, Los Alamos, N.M., 2011.
- "Exploring the Chemistry of the Transuranic Elements in Ionic Liquids," American Chemical Society National Meeting, Denver, Colo., 2011.
- "Actinide Separations in Alkaline Media for Advanced Nuclear Power Cycles and Defense Materials Production: Cesium Separation," LDRD-DR Mid-Year Project Review, Los Alamos, N.M., 2007.
- "Photochemical Oxidation of Oxalate, Urea and Hydroxylammonium in Pu-238 Process Streams," University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, N.M., 2006.
- "Photochemical Oxidation of Oxalate, Urea and Hydroxylammonium in Pu-238 Process Streams," Space Technology and Applications International Forum, Albuquerque, N.M., 2005.
Awards and Honors
- Los Alamos Award for contribution to the Aberdeen Disposition Team, 2010
- Distinguished Performance Award for contribution to Uranium Nitride Fuel Fabrication Team, 2005
Professional Memberships and Volunteer Work
- American Chemical Society, member and career counselor
- Toastmasters International, member and past editor and VP of public relations
- Pennsylvania Adult Literacy, past tutor