Yaser Roshan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad
- Master of Science, Electrical and Control Engineering, Sharif University of Technology
- Doctor of Philosophy, Mechatronics Systems Engineering, Simon Fraser University
- Control Systems Technology
- Electrical Power Systems
- Electrical Power Technology
- Power Electronics
Yaser Mohammadian Roshan, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of electrical engineering at Point Park University. He is also CEO and co-founder of Ophthalight Digital Solutions, Inc. Prior to joining Point Park, Roshan was a post-doctoral fellow at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, in which he worked with BigMotion Technologies, Inc., on energy harvesting and power management techniques for hybrid-powered wearable devices. Before that, he completed a post-doctoral fellowship project there on alternator-based energy harvesting for rail friction management systems with L.B. Foster Co.
Before moving to Canada, Roshan was a project manager and chief research engineer for East Electrical Economics Research Group and a research and design development engineer for Moham Shargh Co. and Niroo Research Institute in Iran. He has also done engineering work for Khorsan Regional Electrical Company, AUTO21, Day4Energy, Unity Integration Corporation, The MathWorks Inc., Iran Grid Management Company and Khuzestan Regional Electricity Company.
Additionally, Roshan has served as a lecturer at the University of British Columbia and as a teaching assistant at Simon Fraser University, Shiraz University, Sharif University of Technology and Ferdowsi University of Mashhad.
- Modern and Intelligent Control Systems
- Power Electronics Design and Control
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Systems
- Smart Grids and Intelligent Power Systems
- Nonlinear Control and Mechatronics Applications of Power Electronics Converters, LAP Lambert Publication, January 2016.
- "Power Electronics Control of an Energy Regenerative Mechatronic Damper," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2015.
- "Maximum Power Point Estimation and Tracking Using Power Converter Input Resistance Control," Journal of Solar Energy, 2013.
- "Dynamic Analysis and Load Current Control of Boost Converters Using Output Redefinition," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, September 2014.
- "Developing Robust FFOPID Controllers Based on Fuzzy Set Point Weighting Algorithm," Journal of Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, 2010.
- "Control of a Regenerative Suspension System Utilizing a Three-Phase Bidirectional Converter," 40th Annual Conference on the IEEE Industrial Control Society, Dallas, Texas, 2014.
- "Load Current Control of a Boost Converter Using Output Redefinition," 39th Annual Conference on the IEEE Industrial Control Society, Vienna, Austria, 2013.
- "Control of a Boost Converter for Resistive Input Behavior in the Continuous Conduction Mode," 38th Annual Conference on the IEEE Industrial Control Society, Montreal, Canada, 2012.
- "Maximum Power Point Tracking Using Boost Converter Input Resistance Control by Means of Lambert W-Function," Third IEEE International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems, Aalborg, Denmark, 2012,
- "Maximum Power Point Tracking Using Boost Converter Input Resistance Control," 21st IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Hangzhou, China, 2012.
- "Portable Device for Diagnosis of Optic Neuritis, Color Blindness and Qualitative and Quantitative Screening of Eye Anomalies," Iranian Patent Office, Jan. 30, 2016.
- "Apparatus, Methods and Systems for Portable Optic Neuritis, Color Blindness and Eye Abnormalities Assessment and Quantification," Provisional U.S. Patent, December 2015.
- "Systems and Methods for Driving Under Influence Field Screening Using Eye Test," Provisional U.S. Patent, July 2016.
- "Systems and Methods for Portable Automated Slit Lamp," Provisional U.S. Patent, July 2016.
- "Systems and Methods for Wireless Charging," Provisional U.S. Patent, August 2016.
Selected Honors and Awards
- First Place Award, RAZI Festival on Medical Science Innovation, Tehran, Iran, 2016.
- Second Place Award, SFU Venture Prize Competition, Vancouver, Canada, 2016.
- First Place Award, National Best Idea Festival, Tehran, Iran, 2016.
- MITACS Accelerate Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Vancouver, Canada, 2016.
- MITACS Elevate Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Vancouver, Canada, 2015.
- Board of directors, Iranian Engineers of British Columbia Association, 2011-present.
- Chair, Iranian Engineers of British Columbia Association, 2015.
- Vice Chair, Iranian Engineers of British Columbia Association, 2014.
- Secretary and Director of Operations, Iranian Engineers of British Columbia Association, 2011-2013.
- Director of Member Services, Iranian Engineers of British Columbia Association, 2011-2012.
Point Park Features
- "Point Park University to Host Graduate Students Conference April 14," Point Park University website, Jan. 8, 2018.
- "Engineering Professor Brings Work Experience From Iran and Canada to the Classroom," Point Park University website, Oct. 12, 2016.