Matthew Allen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts degrees, Philosophy and Cultural Anthropology (with honors), University of Michigan
- Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology, Miami University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Psychology, Miami University
- Relational Psychoanalysis Practicum
- Psychopathology in Society and Culture
- Couples and Group Therapy
- Critical Thinking in Psychology
- Existential and Phenomenological Psychology
Matthew Allen, Ph.D., is an associate professor of psychology at Point Park University. While at Point Park, he has served as the program director and DCT of the M.A. program, and was the original program director of the Psy.D. program. He has previously worked in the Department of Psychiatry and the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at SUNY Upstate Medical University, and was the lead psychologist for Turtle Creek Valley MH/MR in the Pittsburgh area. He also has co-owned a group private practice in the Pittsburgh area. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Michigan, and his graduate work at Miami University. Before graduate school, Dr. Allen taught ESL in the Czech and Slovak Republics, as well as working as a wilderness therapist for Catherine Freer in Oregon.
- Psychotic spectrum disorders and their treatment (e.g., Ipseity-hyperreflexivity model; humanistic approaches to acute psychotic states)
- Transpersonal psychology (e.g., spiritual emergency and differential diagnosis)
- Interpersonal and relational psychoanalysis
- Group psychotherapy
- Del Castillo, D., Allen, M.S. & Pavlo, A. (2009). Toward an elaboration of the concept of awe in EPCP. In Leitner, L. M., & Thomas, J.C. (Eds.), Personal Constructivism: Theory and Applications. New York: Pace University Press.
Professional Memberships and Credentials
- Psychology licensure, Pennsylvania
- Psychology licensure, New York (inactive)
- National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology credential
- American Psychological Association, 2000 - present
Point Park Features
- "Centered on Mental Health," The Point, Winter 2018 issue.
- "Clinical-Community Psychology Grad Classes Help Alum Become a More Empathic Supervisor," Point Park University website, June 2, 2016.
- "Psychology Students and Faculty Present Research at Conference in Chicago," Point Park University website, April 10, 2015.