Skip to main content
Associate Professor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Ph.D., Communication, University of Pittsburgh
- M.A., Cultural Studies, University of Pittsburgh
- M.A., English, University of Georgia
- B.S., Journalism, Ohio University
- Communication Law and Regulation
- Survey of Mass Communication
- Oral Communication
- Media Ethics and Responsibilities
- College Media Advisers
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- International Communication Association
- National Communication Association
- Union for Democratic Communication
- Vietnam Studies Group, Association for Asian Studies, UCLA
- "'Hustle for a Hearing': the Role for Rhetoric of Science in Communicating Scientific Risk, POROI, a Journal of Theoretical Analysis and Invention, February 2012 (8): 1.
- "In the Shadows of Giant, Three Founding 'Matriarchs' of Mass Communication Studies," Communication Theory, February 2012 (22): 4.
- "Can Commercials Make You Fat? The USDA, FTC, and FCC as Public Relations Masters of the American Diet," In process, The Atlantic Monthly, 2011.
- "Vietnam's Internet Pornography 'Epidemic': Vietnamese News Outlets Go 'Hard Core' for Online Entrepreneurs," Under review by International Journal of Communication, 2011.
- "Three Founding Matriarchs of Communication," Humanities Scholar of the Year Award Ceremony, 2011.
- "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? The Political Economy of High Fructose Corn Syrup," National Communication Association, 2010.
- "The History of High Fructose Corn Syrup Media Discourse," Union for Democratic Communication annual meeting, 2010.
- "New Assistive Technologies: Insights from Focus Groups with Stakeholders in Long-Term Care," Association for the Rhetoric of Science and Technology, National Communication Association, 2009.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Scholar of the Year, Humanities Division, Wilson College, 2011
- Donald Bletz Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, Wilson College, 2011
- Excellence in Graduate Student Teaching, International Communication Association, 2003
Point Park Feature