Associate Professor of Photography, Photojournalism
- M.F.A., Film and Digital Technology, Chatham University, expected 2014
- M.A., Journalism and Mass Communication, Point Park University
- B.A., Art, Slippery Rock University
- Photojournalism I
- Photojournalism II
- Documentary Photography
- Introduction to Digital Photography
- Studio Photography
- Specialized Photography
- Coordinate Internships
Christopher Rolinson discovered his passion for photography at Slippery Rock University after a tour of duty in the U.S. Army. At Slippery Rock, he merged fine art photography with communication and politics. Upon graduation, he practiced photojournalism at the Steubenville, Ohio, Herald-Star.
While an adjunct at Point Park, Rolinson spearheaded significant changes in the photography and photojournalism programs. He grew the programs from their infancy to well over 100 students. In 2010, he coordinated major realignments in curriculum to reflect the ever-evolving media and photography landscape.
Rolinson has introduced new courses, collaborations and partnerships to expand and diversify the photography and photojournalism program. He also has facilitated Heart Gallery exhibitions in partnership with the Three Rivers Adoption Council. In partnership with the Father Ryan Arts Center, he coordinated a travelling exhibition that featured student work centered on the inauguration of President Barack Obama. He also plays an active role in the visual and multimedia marketing for the University.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Pittsburgh Press Club
- American Legion
- National Press Photographers Association
- The Society of Photographic Education
- The American Society of Media Photographers
- Gigapan Magazine, contributing editor
- "Long Term Projects for the Professor," National Press Photographers Association, 2010
Selected Works and Expeditions
- Veteran Voices of Pittsburgh, photographer and videographer
- Inauguration of President Barack Obama
- G20 Pittsburgh Summit
- Amistad National Recreation Area Artist-in-Residency
- Aftermath of war in Kosovo and Serbia
- Transition to capitalism and democracy in Hungary and Slovakia
- Narrative storytelling
- Visual Ethnography
- Experimenting with methods to further develop functional non-linear interactive documentary and photojournalistic gigapixel photographs
- Selected as one of Pittsburgh's '40 under 40,' 2011
Point Park Features
- "Photography, Engineering Department Collaborate on Camera Dolly Project," Point Park University website, May 21, 2013.
- "Silk Road Exhibit Provides Practical Experience for Photography Students," Point Park University website, May 6, 2013.
- "Professor Records War Stories for Veteran Voices of Pittsburgh," Point Park University website, June 14, 2012.
- "Rolinson Named One of Pittsburgh's '40 Under 40'," Point Park University website, Oct. 31, 2011.
- "Photo Book Depicts Beauty of State Parks," Point Park University website, Dec. 7, 2009.
In the News
- "Braddock-Based Group Works on Filters for the Water in Nigeria," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Aug. 22, 2013.