- Office: 913 Thayer Hall
- Phone: 412-392-4701
- Fax: 412-392-3917
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Home page: facstaff.pointpark.edu/tdumova
- Ph.D., Communication Studies, Bowling Green State University
- M.A., History/Mass Communication, Bowling Green State University
- B.A., English, Moscow State Linguistic University
- Computer-Mediated Publication
- Print Graphics
- Advertising/PR Graphics
- Desktop/Electronic Publishing
- Directed Research
- Publication Project
- Directed Readings
- Communication Theory
- Applied Mass Communication Research Methods
- Technology Mediated Communication
- Communication, Technology & Culture
- Visual Communication Design
Tatyana Dumova, Ph.D., is an associate professor of multimedia in the School of Communication at Point Park University. Before joining the Point Park faculty, she was an associate professor of applied communication at Montclair State University in New Jersey and assistant professor of communication technology at the University of North Dakota. She has professional background as an associate producer and nonlinear video editor at WBGU-TV (PBS) and web coordinator for Northwest Ohio Educational Technology Foundation, and is certified in multimedia technology by the National Institute for the Study of Digital Media. Dumova has extensive curriculum development experience and works on designing new courses and programs in visual and interactive communication and emerging media technologies.
Call for Submissions
IJICST invites empirical and conceptual contributions on social media, social computing, social informatics, and other areas of inquiry related to social interaction technologies.
Please see the IJICST Call for Papers (pdf) for more details.
Manuscripts can be sent to email@example.com.
She recently published two books on social media, Handbook of Research on Social Interaction Technologies and Collaboration Software: Concepts and Trends (2010) and Blogging in the Global Society: Cultural, Political and Geographical Aspects (2012). Dumova is also the editor of an interdisciplinary scholarly journal, the International Journal of Interactive Communication Systems and Technologies (IJICST).
Dumova was invited to serve as an external reviewer for tenure and promotion in the United States and abroad. She judges competitive research papers and panels for the Pennsylvania Communication Association, Eastern Communication Association, National Communication Association, International Communication Association, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, chairs panels and serves as respondent during the conventions. Dumova was named to a panel of international experts of the New Eurasia Foundation to evaluate grant proposals in information technologies.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Social Implications of New and Emerging Technologies
- Communication Theory and Mass Communication Research Methods
- Social Media
- Classroom Assessment and Innovative Pedagogies
- Online Teaching and Learning
- Co-Director and Research Professor, Keystone Innovation Starter Kit (KISK) Program Grant to Point Park University
- Member of Pittsburgh Technology Council
- Chair of Communication Education Interest Council, Pennsylvania Communication Association
- Chair of Applied Communication Interest Group, Eastern Communication Association
- Vice Chair of Communication Assessment Division, National Communication Association
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Interactive Communication Systems and Technologies
- Editorial Board Member, Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, International Journal of Online Pedagogy and Course Design, and International Journal of Learning Technology
Selected Awards and Recognitions
- Faculty Recognition, Point Park University, 2011, 2012
- Letter of Commendation, Pennsylvania Communication Association, 2011
- Award for Outstanding Service, University of North Dakota, 2008
- Certificate of Recognition, National Communication Association, 2007
- Bush Teaching Scholar, The Archibald Bush Foundation, 2006-2007
- Outstanding Teaching Award, University of North Dakota, 2006
- Central States Communication Association, Top Four Paper Award in Media Studies, 2004
- Harold and Elaine Fisher Award for Academic Excellence, Bowling Green State University, 2001
- Ohio Educational Telecommunications (OET), Educational Service Program Award, 1999
- Dumova, T., & Fiordo, R. (Eds.). (2012). Blogging in the Global Society: Cultural, Political and Geographical Aspects. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Dumova, T. (2012). Social Interaction Technologies and the Future of Blogging. In T. Dumova & R. Fiordo (Eds.), Blogging in the Global Society: Cultural, Political and Geographical Aspects (pp. 249-274). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Dumova, T. (2012). The Usability of Online Quizzes: Evaluating Student Perceptions. In S. Kelsey & K. St. Amant (Eds.), Computer-Mediated Communication: Issues and Approaches in Education (pp. 50-61). Hershey PA: Information Science Reference.
- Dumova, T., & Fiordo, R. (Eds.). (2010). Handbook of Research on Social Interaction Technologies and Collaboration Software: Concepts and Trends. Vols. 1-2. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference.
- Dumova, T., & Rosenthal, A. (2010). Assessment Resources on the Web. In P. Backlund & G. Wakefield (Eds.), A Communication Assessment Primer: A Guide to Developing Successful Educational Assessment Programs (pp. 165-177). Washington, DC: National Communication Association.
- Dumova, T. (2008). Using Digital Video Assignments as a Tool for Active Learning. International Journal of Learning, 14 (12), 63-72.
- Dumova, T. (2001). New Trends in Web Communication Technology: Webcasting. In W. A. Fowler & J. Haserbrook (Eds.), Proceedings of WebNet 2001 World Conference on the WWW and Internet. Norfolk, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, p. 332-333.
- Dumova, T. (2000). People, Knowledge, and the Internet: Redefining Categories, Concepts, and Models. In L. Borghans, W. Gijselaers, R. Milter, & J. Stinson (Eds.), Educational Innovation in Economics and Business V: Business Education for the Changing Workplace (pp. 129-148). Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.