Explore the evolving world of communication and media
The School of Communication offers current high school students two exciting opportunities to visit campus and learn what it's like to study in one of our innovative communication majors. During the summer, individual students can take part in our week-long Media Workshop, an intensive, hands-on experience in which students produce photographic, video, print and online projects. During the academic year, school groups visit for High School Media Day, one in the fall, one in the spring.
We welcome your interest in the School of Communication and invite you to explore our programs, meet our faculty members and talk with our current students. We look forward to meeting you!
Point Park University campus, Downtown Pittsburgh
Get a taste of your career-to-be at one of our interactive multimedia storytelling workshops – learn about writing, video, audio, web, photography and social media!
Students will meet journalists in their chosen specialty and get to tour Pittsburgh's best venues. In the past, students have visited PNC Park, CONSOL Energy Center and Stage AE. Students have also soaked up the Pittsburgh experience, riding the Duquesne Incline, visiting the Mt. Washington Overlook and taking in the Three Rivers Arts Festival.
What will you do in these workshops?
- Learn and apply aesthetics in photography, video, web design and print design.
- Develop better skills in writing, researching and interviewing.
- Work under deadline to create individual pieces for your portfolio.
- Practice with industry-standard hardware and software.
- Network with professionals in your chosen field.
What past participants have said:
- "I learned how to interview someone, how to use different cameras, microphones and other equipment. My favorite part of the week was the chance to meet new friends who share similar interests. It was fun to see different parts of the city and see a school that I've been wanting to go to for years now." — City Charter High School student
- "My favorite part of the week was touring KDKA-TV and watching a live taping. I also enjoyed writing my story because I loved my topic (fashion). It was so much fun doing the research and conducting interviews. I came all the way from New Jersey for this workshop and really enjoyed exploring the city and being on the Point Park campus!" — Holy Cross Academy High School student
The online registration form will be available in spring 2017
- Cost of $99 includes lunch, snacks and activities.
- Partial scholarships available.
- This is a non-residential workshop, interested students who live out of town are encouraged to contact us to learn more about housing availability and cost.
- Questions? Contact Nan Knapp, firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-392-4730.
The School of Communication hosts High School Media Day twice a year at Point Park University. High school students and teachers are invited to the event to learn about media and communication industries.
Point Park faculty members lead interactive sessions within their specialty areas; topics include: advertising, broadcasting, media ethics, multimedia, photojournalism and public relations. The program includes lunch and the option to have a Point Park professor critique your high school’s student newspaper.
Previous Media Day sessions have included:
- Journalism: Getting the story. How to get sources to talk to you.
- Broadcasting: Announcing 101. Doing better voiceovers.
- Photojournalism: Putting together the best photo slideshows using free web tools.
- PR/Advertising: How to get the best contact list for your beat.
- Multimedia/Web: Aggregating Controversy. Using Storify to tell the whole story.
- Media Law: First Amendment freedoms. What rights do students have to write about controversial issues?
- Design: Issues-based graphic design.
- Photography: Learn about aesthetics, ethical issues about cropping and what we should show to the public.
- Media Ethics: Do the right thing. Ethical guidelines for student reporters.
What past participants have said about Media Day:
- "I learned how to perfect my writing and work with a word count. It taught me how to make my ideas concise and to the point. I've already been accepted into Point Park's journalism program and I've heard so many good things about it. " — Andrew Domencic, a senior at Avonworth High School. Aspiring reporter for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "I really enjoyed taking the media ethics workshop with Professor Tim Hudson. I had a lot of fun being on campus and got a taste of what it would be like to go to school at Point Park." — Julia Maruca, a sophomore at North Allegheny High School. Aspiring print journalist.
- "Our students that are interested in a career in media have been coming to Point Park for several years. Our students find the hands-on sessions to be very rewarding." — Sally Meyers, teacher at Fox Chapel Area High School.
- "I participated in media day and had the opportunity to meet professors who had real-world work experience. I loved being in a city, right in the heart of the news and close to big news agencies." — Alumna Nikki Porter, reporter/anchor.
- I considered Point Park after attending a journalism workshop. I discovered Point Park’s multimedia major that had this unique combination. I was also impressed by its small class sizes, city location and great reputation." — Alumna Erin Price, web designer/developer.