Admissions Counselor - Graduate
POSITION: Admissions Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Graduate Admissions Office
REPORTS TO: Director, Graduate Admissions Office
Responsible to the Director of the Graduate Admissions Office for the recruitment and admission of students into on ground graduate programs and the University responsibilities for the admission of totally online students.
Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred, with a minimum of 1-2 years related experience; experience in admissions, online admissions, employee development/training, student advisement and/or career counseling; proficient verbal, and written skills; and ability to work flexible schedule including evenings and Saturdays. Proficient computer skills including database management and Microsoft Office products is required.
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Work occasional evenings/weekends
- Standard background check (Federal, State, Local criminal checks; academic verification)
- Must have a valid PA driver’s license
- Must have a personal car for University travel requirements
- Maintain security of student application information.
- Must be familiar with and put into use current FERPA personal information regulations
- Strong organizational skills
- Accuracy in work
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; verbally and in writing
- Uses high level of judgment and able to maintain confidentiality Ability to work as part of team
- Spirit of Collegiality – Maintains a sense of courtesy, respect, professionalism, and enthusiasm when interacting with faculty, staff and students.
- Fosters culture of Mission Statement’s dedication to delivering a quality experience for our students.
- Exemplifies a positive attitude toward diversity on campus.
- Fosters a culture of excellence and working for continuous process improvements in customer service.
- Shows positive attitude and approach to work, students, faculty, staff, and external customers.
- Uses good and ethical judgment in decision making that is in line with Point Park University’s mission/vision, department objectives and Code of Conduct.
- Attendance and punctuality
- Comply with Point Park University regulations as defined in the Employee Handbook and the procedures as defined in the Office of Graduate Admissions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise prospective students through the admissions process, including detailed program specific information; financial aid availability, registration and student account procedures to ensure enrollment.
- Collaborate with third party partners to recruit and enroll online students (both undergraduate and graduate) to enroll online students including telephone and e-mail follow up to assure accurate information is given to prospective online students, and that students are admitted, transfer credits evaluated and enrolled.
- Participate in open houses, corporate site visits, etc. to recruit students
- Work within deadline dates to admit and enroll students at six start points per year.
- Check unofficial evaluations of undergraduate transfer credits submitted by third party vender and make corrections where necessary. Submit transcripts to Registrar’s Office for official evaluation process.
- Work cooperatively with all administrative and academic departments to ensure the efficient enrollment of students into appropriate programs. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with program directors within assigned recruitment goals.
- Responsible for student progress through all admissions stages i.e. maintain student databases, ensure appropriate materials are mailed/e-mailed out, maintain application files, conduct interviews, unofficial evaluations of transfer credits, handle all phone, e-mail and mail correspondence with prospective students. Walk new students through the registration process and other details to assure a smooth orientation.
- Submit periodic reports on recruitment activities as directed by the Director.
- Finalize applicant files and submit to Registrar’s office once term has begun.
- Assign appropriate duties to support staff and work-study students to aid in the enrollment process.
- Participate in ongoing training and development activities and professional organizations as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Oversee and/or plan special programs or events as assigned by the Director, Graduate Admissions office.
Mobility within the office. Ability to walk, sit, stand and climb stairs. Ability to use hands and fingers, to handle office equipment, records and files. Occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel or crouch. Vision abilities required by this job include the ability to read and discern written errors on paper and electronic documents. Ability to talk and hear. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - GRADUATE ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Must be authorized to work in the United States.