POSITION: DESKTOP SUPPORT TECHNICIAN I
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology Services
REPORTS TO: Director, User Services
Associates degree or two years equivalent work experience in the IT field; Two years, background using Windows XP / 7 / 8; Two years, background in Mac OSX 10.6 / 10.7 / 10.8; Background using and troubleshooting laser printers; Experience using work-order or ticketing software; One year, background in supporting end users in an Active Directory / Microsoft Exchange environment; One year supporting end users in a Windows 7 networked environment; Experience with SCCM / ARD remote deployment in both an Active Directory and Open Directory environment; One year experience in a help desk and/or customer service role
The Desktop Support Technician I (DST1) provides front line technical support to the students, staff, and faculty of the University community. An individual in this position is expected to analyze and diagnose any problems related to specific hardware, software, and networking services provided by the Information Technology Services (ITS). The DST1 will perform this function through phone calls, e-mail correspondence, walk-in requests, remote support, office visits, and work-order tickets. The DST1 is the first point of contact for students, staff, and faculty, and as such should attempt to independently resolve all issues that they are presented with. In the event that the DST1 cannot independently solve a particular issue, he/she is required to contact a Desktop Support Technician II/Help Desk Coordinator if applicable or the appropriate functional department for resolution. The DST1 is also required to monitor the progress of and follow-up on every ticket they enter into the work-order system to ensure successful resolution. The DST1 should also report any problems with systems and services relating to ITS.
- Problem Analysis and Diagnoses – Analyze, diagnose, and attempt resolution according to IT Help Desk policy and procedures.
- Problem Prevention – Investigate and implement ways of reducing calls. Fix causes, not only symptoms, doing what is necessary to prevent problems from recurring.
- Field Service – Perform field service calls when necessary to University-owned buildings local to the Pittsburgh area.
- Deploy, troubleshoot, upgrade, service, and perform basic repairs on university-owned desktop hardware.
- Ability to lift/move heavy computer equipment, including laser printers.
- Support end-users via phone, e-mail, face-to-face, and remote assistance on using various University systems and the accounts used to access those systems.
- Participate in required training programs, technical as well as interpersonal.
- Assist the Help Desk Coordinator in the training and supervision of student workers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - DESKTOP SUPPORT TECHNICIAN I - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.