POSITION: Student Accounts Counselor – Part-time
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Accounts
DEPARTMENT: Office of Student Accounts
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or finance or equivalent education, skills and experience including accounting courses; related work experience preferred; experience in financial aid or student accounts in a post-secondary institution preferred and experience data entry and computer skills preferred; knowledge of financial aid programs and regulations; organization skills and ability to communicate effectively with students and parents in a high pressure environment; ability to work flexible hours including evenings and Saturdays.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: Provide quality front office customer service by performing a variety of financial aid and student accounts functions regarding student loans, grants and scholarship programs as they relate to the student’s tuition account; work in collaboration with the Office of Financial Aid and the Office of the Registrar and other related offices at the University; ensure that functions performed are in compliance with federal, state and University policies and procedures.
- Thoroughly address inquiries from students, parents, faculty and staff by way of telephone, e-mail and in person in a front office setting.
- Explain the Universities’ policies and procedures as it relates to tuition accounts with students and/or parents in the front office.
- Provide quality customer service skills in a front office setting.
- Open and distribute mail.
- Process transcript request forms.
- Manage business hold reports.
- Insure adherence to requirements of Buckley Amendment as it applies to students’ accounts.
- Manage Buckley Amendment records.
- Manage student account’s file room and student records.
- Order office supplies and maintain sufficient office supply inventory.
- Take payments and/or deposits from students, parents and various departments on campus
- Evaluate student's financial aid awards and verify the tuition, fees, and room and board charges to determine student's out-of-pocket portion and balance due; attempt to answer any questions or refer student and/or parent to appropriate department for answers.
- In collaboration with all members of the Student Financial Services Department:
- Discuss with student and/or parent how the financial aid awards affect the tuition account and when aid will be transferred to the student's account.
- If financial aid is estimated (pending), assist the student with follow up with the Financial Aid Office until aid becomes actualized; explain the consequences of estimated financial aid not becoming actualized prior to the end of the semester.
- Explain to students how Assistantship/Work Program/Work Study checks are distributed and process for signing check over to school for tuition account payments.
- Define process for Direct Loan fund transmittals onto the student's account; explain fees deducted prior to school receiving funds; discuss with the student the regulations regarding how changes in their enrollment status affect their eligibility for loan proceeds.
- Explain private loan options to students to help fill the financial gap.
14. Discuss payment plan options and offer payment figures and due dates for each plan including the current student payment plans and the employer reimbursement plan.
15. Research files and records for students with outstanding balances in order to verify charges and outstanding funding; document all collection attempts made; follow up with additional collection activities in an attempt to help the student to satisfy the account balance
16. Assist with collection efforts of past due account balances.
17. Review semester financial clearance reports. Follow up with student and/or financial aid to resolve account balance.
18. Perform other related duties or special projects as required.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - STUDENT ACCOUNTS COUNSELOR - PART-TIME - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.