Work for the Government
Explore State and Federal Jobs
Working for the commonwealth of Pennsylvania or the federal government offers opportunities in a variety of different careers.
- The commonwealth of Pennsylvania and certain local (county) governments hire through the State Civil Service Commission
- The Partnership for Public Service is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works to revitalize our federal government developed the Call to Serve programs and resources in conjunction with the Office of Personnel Management.
Approximately 70 percent of all commonwealth of Pennsylvania jobs are covered by civil service. The Pennsylvania state civil service is a merit system of employment that hires, retains and promotes people based on their qualifications and ability to perform the job. Look at the various job classifications available and find out how to take the corresponding civil service exam:
To learn more, go to the Pennsylvania state civil service commission website or contact the commission's western regional office for more information:
State Civil Service Commission
Western Regional Office
411 Seventh Ave., Room 410
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Text Telephone 412-565-2484
The Partnership for Public Service's Call to Serve initiative is designed to:
- Inspire and educate a new generation about federal service
- Improve agencies' ability to recruit and hire the talent government needs
- Re-establish links between federal agencies and campuses
- Provide students with information about federal jobs
To learn more about programs available from the federal government, and to find and apply for these opportunities, follow the links below:
The Partnership for Public Service is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works to revitalize our federal government by inspiring a new generation to serve and by transforming the way government works.
We're here to help
Want to schedule an appointment with the Career Development Center or ask a question? Call 412-392-3950 or email email@example.com