Renter's Guide: Questions to Ask Your Landlord
Talking to a landlord can be intimidating. Here are some questions to get you started.
In addition to asking the questions listed below, make sure you keep copies of all correspondence with the landlord to demonstrate conversations at a later date.
- Are there legal limits to the number of occupants permitted in the apartment?
- What type of heat does the apartment have (gas or electric)?
- Who pays for the heat, and what is the average cost?
- Who controls the thermostat
- When is the heat turned on?
- Is the apartment air conditioned?
- Who pays for other utilities (telephone, cable, etc.)?
- Do you provide regular exterminating services?
- Can I hang pictures on the walls without being penalized?
- Are draperies, curtain rods, or blinds included?
- Are pets or children allowed? Is there an additional charge?
- Are there any restrictions regarding guests, parties, etc.?
- Is parking available and if so, is there an additional fee?
- Will the apartment be ready for occupancy at the start of the lease?
- Will you put any promises or commitments in writing?
- What are the requirements for a full refund of my security deposit?
- Who do I call in an emergency?
- What do I do if I lose my key?