Renter's Guide: Things to Know
About the Facility, Locale, and Amenities
Keep the following items in mind when considering a place to rent.
- Are the interior rooms and building common areas reasonably clean?
- Are the walls in reasonably good condition?
- Is the carpet or flooring clean and in good condition?
- Are the appliances gas or electric and are they in good condition?
- Is the refrigerator clean and in good condition?
- Is there sufficient lighting?
- Do the light fixtures work?
- Will I need to provide additional lighting?
- Are there enough electrical outlets?
- Does the toilet function properly and not leak?
- Do the hot and cold water faucets function and not drip?
- Do the sinks, shower and tub drain quickly?
- Are there any signs of water damage around water fixtures or on the ceiling?
- If the apartment is furnished, is the furniture in good condition?
- Will my furniture fit comfortably in the apartment?
- Is there sufficient closet space?
- Are there any signs of infestation?
- Are there laundry facilities in building?
- Is there storage space available in the building?
- Are the exterior grounds maintained in reasonable condition (grass/shrubs trimmed with no visible debris)?
- Are there proper containers provided for trash disposal with clear instructions (pick-up schedule, recyclables, etc.)?
- Who lives in the adjoining apartments and the neighborhood?
- How close are grocery stores, shops, restaurants, entertainment and public transportation?