Residence Hall Security
Campus Safety is a Priority
Every university has a campus - ours happens to be an entire city. Our Department of Public Safety is responsible for providing all members of the University community with a safe and secure environment to live, learn and work. The Department of Public Safety maintains a close working relationship with the Pittsburgh Police Department.
The department includes:
- Police officers
- Public safety officers
- A 24-hour dispatch center
- An emergency services division
- A security division
Security for residence halls, suites and apartments
- All residence halls have controlled access.
- A security desk is on the first floor of every building and is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- All guests need to be accompanied by their host or hostess and must sign in (and sign out) with a valid photo ID at the building's security station.
- Each room has a fire alarm and smoke detector.
- All residence halls are equipped with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
There is round-the-clock police protection on campus as well as police officers on bikes and on foot patrols, including on the perimeters of campus.
At your request, a police officer will accompany you to your destination on campus.
Dial these extensions on the phones in every hallway:
- Emergency: x2222
- Public safety (no emergency): x3960
- 24 hour dispatch center: 412-392-3960