Missing Student Policy
What To Do if You Think a Student is Missing
Note that the following policy is for students who live in one of Point Park University's Residence Halls, Suites or Apartments. Please refer any concerns about a possibly missing off-campus or commuter student to Public Safety by calling 412-392-3960.
Public Safety 412-392-3960
Campus Life 412-392-8026
In compliance with the Missing Person Procedures 20 USC 1092 C (Section 488 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008), it is the policy of Campus Life and Public Safety to investigate any report of a missing student who resides at Point Park University. Point Park University's practice, procedures, and policy are as follows:
- A resident student shall be deemed missing when he or she is reportedly absent from the University for more than 24 hours without any known reason.
- All reports of missing students shall be directed to the Department of Public Safety. Public safety will work with Campus Life to determine whether the student is missing in accordance with this policy.
- Upon check-in to the campus residence halls, suites, or apartments, all students will have the opportunity to identify an individual to be contacted by the University in case the student is determined to be missing.
- For students under the age of 18, that notification will be made to the student's parent or guardian within 24 hours of the time that the student is determined to be missing.
- Any notification to parents, guardians, or designated contacts will be made by the Dean of Students.
Pittsburgh Police will be notified within 24 hours of a student being determined missing-notification will be done by Public Safety.
- Any report of a missing student should immediately be directed to Public Safety.
- Public Safety will notify Campus Life and the two departments will work in conjunction to do the following:
- Attempt to make contact with the student reported missing by calling the student's cell phone number on file, going to the student's room (keying in if no answer), interviewing roommate(s) and floormate(s) concerning the last time the student was seen and find any known plans.
- Check the student's card access log to determine when they last entered a building, used their meal plan, etc.
- Check class schedule and look for student at classroom-if applicable.
- Contact faculty member regarding attendance if appropriate.
- Determine a timeline of when the student was last accounted for.
- Campus Life will notify the Dean on Duty who in conjunction with the Dean of Students and VP of Student Affairs will initiate whatever action deemed appropriate under the specific incident's circumstances.
- If it is determined that 24 hours have passed with no known whereabouts-the Dean of Students or designee will notify the missing student's designated contact-or-if the student is under 18, their custodial parent or guardian, and Public Safety will notify the Pittsburgh Police-both within 24 hours of making the determination.
- If it has been less than 24 hours, and the student's absence not appear irregular or suspicious, a note will be left at the student's room requesting that they contact Public Safety immediately upon their return. If at the 24 hour mark the student still has not returned, then the above stated actions will take place.