Garfield Lemonius, M.F.A.
- M.F.A., Dance, Southern Methodist University
- B.Ed., Secondary School Education, York University
- B.F.A., Dance, York University
- Contemporary Dance Styles
- Specialized Modern Dance Techniques
- Senior Project
Garfield Lemonius' career adventures include performing in film, with contemporary companies, and in solo guest works across the United States, Canada and Europe. He has worked with notable choreographers including Robert Battle, Colin Connor, David Parsons, Bruce Wood, Charles "Chuck" Davis, Alonzo King, Donald McKayle, Troy Powell and Kevin Wynn, and has performed solo masterworks by renowned dance masters including Talley Beatty, Asadata Dafora, Jose Limon and Martha Graham.
Lemonius has served on numerous boards including The Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing Arts curriculum development and leadership committees, the North Texas Dance Council, and on panels at the annual International Association of Blacks in Dance Conference. He also wrote the dance curriculum and served as curriculum director for the Dallas Black Dance Academy. He was previously on faculty at the nationally acclaimed Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in Dallas where he taught numerous students who have been nationally recognized presidential scholars in the arts (dance).
Professional Memberships, Certifications and Affiliations
- Pittsburgh Dance Council
- Texas State Board for Education Certification
- Ontario College of Teachers
- Elementary and Intermediate Laban Notation Certification
- National Association of School of Dance
Selected Performances and Artistic Works
- Dallas Black Dance Theatre, Principal dancer
- Blues Brothers 2000, Principal dancer
- Canadian Armed Forces show tour, Principal dancer
- Main stage performances, Rehearsal director, Point Park University
- Teaching residency, CalState Fullerton
- The Debbie Allen Dance Institute Summer Intensive
- Southern Methodist University
- University of Oklahoma
- International Summer Dance, Point Park University
- University of Texas in Austin
- York University, Toronto
- The Newtown Performing Arts High School, Sydney, Australia
- August Wilson Dance Ensemble
- Pittsburgh Youth Ballet Company
- Jazz Dance World Congress, Point Park University
- National High School Dance Festival, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Pittsburgh Youth Ballet Company
- Choreographic theory and practice
- Curriculum development
- Instructional theory and practice
Point Park Features
- Garfield Lemonius Appointed as Chair of Dance Department
- Highlights from the 2018 National High School Dance Festival
- B.F.A. in Dance Program Ranked as One of 10 Best in Country
In the News
- "Celebrating Black Bodies in the Tradition of American Dance," 90.5 WESA, Feb. 4, 2020.
- "Dance at Point Park University: Part One | Part Two," The Lynne Hayes-Freeland Show, Feb. 2, 2020.
- "Let's Get Physical: How and Why to Take Advantage of Your College's PT Resources," Dance Spirit, Jan. 27, 2020.
- "What Does it Take for Competition Kids to Transition to College Life," Dance Magazine, Jan. 20, 2020.
- "How to Prepare When Directors Attend Your School's Performance," Dance Magazine, June 20, 2019.
- "Expect Energized 2018-19 Season From Point Park's Conservatory Dance Company," Pittsburgh City Paper, Aug. 29, 2018.
- "Garfield Lemonius Aims to Lift Point Park's Dance Program to New Heights," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 4, 2018.