PDE Certification Testing Requirements and Composite Calculator
Basic Academic Skills Exams in Reading, Writing and Mathematics
There are now two ways for education students in Pennsylvania to pass the basic academics skills tests in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA) test: One or all three modules may be taken at one test appointment. The PAPA series is passed by achieving a score of 220 or higher on all three modules, or by the Composite Score Option.
- Praxis® CORE Academic Skills for Educators test: The Pennsylvania Department of Education has authorized the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators tests as an alternative to the PAPA. A composite scoring option is available.
- Testing requirements in PA: View the Pennsylvania Department of Education's basic skills testing options.
Candidates who are already certified and adding another certificate only have to take the test(s) corresponding to their new certification area as permitted by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
These tests measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that education students need to begin teaching.
- Praxis®II Subject Assessments: These tests measure knowledge of specific subjects that K-12 educators will teach, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills and knowledge.
- PAPA Specific Certification Areas: PreK-4, Special Education PreK-8 and Special Education 7-12 students must take and pass all three modules to qualify for Pennsylvania teacher certification.
PDE Certification testing and Composite Score Calculator
Visit the Pennsylvania Department of Education website for information on which tests to take for PA certification.
How Do I Read My Scores?
Check out the following resources to better understand your test scores.
For additional questions, contact Ja Nel Orwig at 412-392-3975 or firstname.lastname@example.org.