Heather Starr Fiedler, Ph.D.
Chair of the Department of Community Engagement
Professor of Multimedia
Director of Wood Street Communications
- Ph.D., Educational Technology, Nova Southeastern University
- M.A., Organizational Communication, University of Albany
- B.A., Broadcast Journalism and Business, SUNY College at Buffalo
- Introduction to Community Engagement
- City-University Life
- Seminar in Communities, Engagement & Leadership
- Community Engagement Practicum
- Social Media Practices
- Social Media Analytics & SEO
- Social Media Campaigns
- Survey of Mass Communication
- Multimedia Capstone
Heather Starr Fiedler, Ph.D., has a dual appointment in the School of Communication and the Department of Community Engagement, which she chairs.
For the Department of Community Engagement, she serves as the director of the Ph.D. in community engagement program as well as the first-year experience program. Her work focuses on university-community partnerships and helping serve basic needs for the community.
In the School of Communication, she focuses on new and emerging media technology and social media. Additionally, she serves as the director of Wood Street Communications, the University's non-profit outreach program.
Prior to coming to Point Park in 2000, she taught business and computer science at West Virginia Northern Community College, communications at Robert Morris University and was the director of training for Gateway Computers in Pittsburgh. She is the founder of the nonprofit Play it Forward Pittsburgh, which is the largest gently-used toy drive in the Pittsburgh region.
She lives in Indiana Township with her husband Mike and two sons Matthew and Benjamin.
- Chair, Interactive Media and Emerging Technologies Division, Broadcast Education Association
- Board Chair, Play it Forward Pittsburgh
“Social Impact: Connecting Classroom and Community through Wood Street Communications,” Engagement Scholarship Consortium Annual Conference, 2016
- "A Social Lab’s Impact on Race, Equity and Social Injustice (poster),” National Conference on Race and Ethnicity, 2016
Awards and Honors
- Named one of 14 "Women in Media" by the Women & Girls Foundation, 2010
- Selected as one of Pittsburgh's 40 Under 40, 2009
- Communicator Awards - PittsburghMom.com, 2009
Point Park Features
- "Poverty Simulation Event Makes an Impact on University Community"
- "Pioneer Pantry Serves Point Park Students in Need During the Holidays"
- "New Food Pantry Serving Point Park Students"
- "Telling Stories and Changing Lives Theme of Fall 2015 High School Media Day"
- "Point Park Offering Region's First Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Community Engagement Program"
- "M.A. in Communication Technology Adds Social Media Concentration"
- "A Discussion on Digital Media with Heather Starr Fiedler"
In the News
- "Gun for Bill Peduto on Twitter, and He'll Fire Back - But Should He?", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 4, 2019.
- "Backlash Over Antwon Rose Posts Should Make Social Media Users Think Twice, Experts Say," TribLIVE.com, July 6, 2018.
- "It's No Game, Poverty Becomes Real in a Simulation at Point Park," PublicSource.com, Jan. 19, 2018.
- "Exploring the 132 Tweets that Pennsylvania Politicians Deleted in 2017," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 26, 2017.
- "New Food Pantry Helps Point Park Students in Need," TribLIVE.com, Sept. 26, 2017.
- "West Deer Offers Corrective to Online Rumor Mill," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, July 30, 2016.
- "Point Park University's New Ph.D. in Community Engagement Program," Our Region's Business, Oct. 25, 2015.
- "Facebook to Directly Host News Content (starts at 23:09)," Essential Pittsburgh, May 14, 2015.
- "Point Park Students Go Beyond Just Building Resumes," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Nov. 3, 2014.
- "Point Park Student Agency to Help Nonprofits Connect," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 15, 2014.