Rising Brothers and Sisters
Spectrum of Support
The Rising Brothers and Sisters program aims to provide customized, professional college-to-career support services to students of color in high school and at Point Park. The program hopes to build a Spectrum of Support, which will include:
Josie Brown, dean, School of Arts & Sciences
- Business professionals of color
- Engage with high school students via videos focused on personal and academic success
- Engage with Point Park students via our campus speaker series
- Point Park students
- Attend small academic and social support groups focused on study skills, literacy and time management
- Help to organize, as well as attend, our Black Speaker Series and College Panel Series
- High school students
- Attend Point Park campus visits, tours and panel discussions designed by Point Park students
- Attend small group discussions related to leadership and personal success at their partner schools
Pittsburgh Allderdice High School seniors
Three high schools have been adopted into the Rising Brothers and Sisters program for the 2022-23 academic year:
High school students will attend Point Park campus visits, as well as small group workshops at their schools. Students who attend Rising Brothers and Sisters programming are selected by teachers, administrators and guidance counselors. Students are also given the opportunity to earn transferable college credits from Point Park.
Mitchel Nickols, Ph.D.
- Mitchel Nickols, Ph.D.
- Director, Rising Brothers and Sisters
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 724-396-0834
- Office: 1108 West Penn Hall, Point Park University
- Leslie Wessner
- Administrative Assistant, Rising Brothers and Sisters
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: 1302A West Penn Hall, Point Park University
Point Park Resources
Academic success is a leading component of the Rising Brothers and Sisters program and encourages students to connect with Point Park Tutoring Services, which provides professional and peer tutors for students who seek assistance in their coursework.
Point Park Tutoring Services offers both online and on-ground assistance. In addition, students may receive guidance with effective study strategies, such as organization, time management, note-taking techniques, and exam preparation. Students can access Point Park’s tutor-scheduling software through https://pointpark.mywconline.com. This system will allow students to schedule one-on-one tutoring appointments and to upload documents for review.
Visit the Tutoring Services webpage to learn more.