Garfield Lemonius, M.F.A.
Acting Dean and Artistic Director, COPA
Chair of Dance
- M.F.A., Dance, Southern Methodist University
- B.Ed., Secondary School Education, York University
- B.F.A., Dance, York University
- Contemporary Dance Styles
- Specialized Modern Dance Techniques
- Senior Project
BackgroundGarfield Lemonius' career adventures include performing in film, with contemporary companies, and in solo guest works across the United States, Canada and Europe. He was a principal dancer with the Dallas Black Dance Theatre, where he performed works by noted American choreographers, and toured throughout the U.S. and Europe. He has worked with acclaimed choreographers including Robert Battle, Colin Connor, David Parsons, Bruce Wood, Charles "Chuck" Davis, Alonzo King, Donald McKayle, Troy Powell and Kevin Wynn, and has performed solo masterworks by renowned dance masters including Talley Beatty, Asadata Dafora, Jose Limon and Martha Graham.
Lemonius was previously on faculty at the nationally acclaimed Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in Dallas where he taught numerous students who have been nationally recognized presidential scholars in the arts (dance).
He has served on numerous boards and panels at national dance conferences, and continues to teach and choreograph for companies, festivals and other academic institutions across the U.S., Canada, and Australia.
He currently serves on the advisory board for the Pittsburgh Dance Council, the advisory committee for the National High School Dance Festival and the National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD) Committee on Ethics. In 2018, he received the National High School Dance Festival Outstanding Service Award, the festival’s highest honor.
Lemonius is associate professor, chair of dance and associate artistic director in the Conservatory of Performing Arts at Point Park University.
Professional Memberships, Certifications and Affiliations
- Pittsburgh Dance Council
- Texas State Board for Education Certification
- Ontario College of Teachers
- Elementary and Intermediate Laban Notation Certification
- National Association of School of Dance
Selected Performances and Artistic Works
- Dallas Black Dance Theatre, Principal dancer
- Blues Brothers 2000, Principal dancer
- Canadian Armed Forces show tour, Principal dancer
- Main stage performances, Rehearsal director, Point Park University
- Teaching residency, CalState Fullerton
- The Debbie Allen Dance Institute Summer Intensive
- Southern Methodist University
- University of Oklahoma
- International Summer Dance, Point Park University
- University of Texas in Austin
- York University, Toronto
- The Newtown Performing Arts High School, Sydney, Australia
- August Wilson Dance Ensemble
- Pittsburgh Youth Ballet Company
- Jazz Dance World Congress, Point Park University
- National High School Dance Festival, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Pittsburgh Youth Ballet Company
- Choreographic theory and practice
- Curriculum development
- Instructional theory and practice
- New Leadership at Pittsburgh Playhouse and COPA
- Point Park, Minding the Gap Team Up To Develop Ways of Improving Mental Health of Dancers
- Dance Department Hosts Virtual Speaker Series
- Highlights from the 2020 National High School Dance Festival
- Garfield Lemonius Appointed as Chair of Dance Department
- Highlights from the 2018 National High School Dance Festival
- B.F.A. in Dance Program Ranked as One of 10 Best in Country
In the News
- "Inside Point Park's First-of-It's-Kind Dancer Mental-Health Program," Dance Teacher Magazine, Jan. 4, 2021.
- "Celebrating Black Bodies in the Tradition of American Dance," 90.5 WESA, Feb. 4, 2020.
- "Dance at Point Park University: Part One | Part Two," The Lynne Hayes-Freeland Show, Feb. 2, 2020.
- "Let's Get Physical: How and Why to Take Advantage of Your College's PT Resources," Dance Spirit, Jan. 27, 2020.
- "What Does it Take for Competition Kids to Transition to College Life," Dance Magazine, Jan. 20, 2020.
- "How to Prepare When Directors Attend Your School's Performance," Dance Magazine, June 20, 2019.
- "Garfield Lemonius, Dancer-Choreographer-Teacher," Storybeat podcast, Feb. 7, 2019.
- "Expect Energized 2018-19 Season From Point Park's Conservatory Dance Company," Pittsburgh City Paper, Aug. 29, 2018.
- "Garfield Lemonius Aims to Lift Point Park's Dance Program to New Heights," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 4, 2018.