Kiesha Lalama, M.F.A.
Managing and Artistic Director, Pittsburgh Playhouse
- M.F.A., Interdisciplinary Arts, Goddard College
- B.A., Dance, Point Park University
- Jazz Dance Technique
- Dance Composition I, II
- Senior Project
Kiesha Lalama is an internationally recognized artist who has created works for stage, film and television.
Lalama has choreographed feature films such as “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” “Sorority Row,” as well as the documentary series “Broadway or Bust” (PBS), the critically acclaimed television series “Outsiders” (WGN) and “American Rust” (Showtime).
Lalama is the co-founder and choreographer for the Jimmy Awards (Broadway). International concert dance works have reached six countries throughout Europe and Asia featuring Shed (DCDC), Catapult (Dance Kaleidoscope), and Alegria (Giordano Dance Chicago). Lalama has created three critically acclaimed full-length dance theater productions including The Bench: Journey into Love, HeartShakes and Bound in Before.
Regional theater highlights include All Shook Up (North Shore Music Theatre), Jesus Christ Superstar (Kansas City Starlight Theatre), Into the Woods (Arsht Center), Judge Jackie Justice, Ruthless! The Musical, First Date and the Gene Kelly Awards (Pittsburgh CLO).
Lalama has been awarded numerous outstanding choreography awards including the Jazz Dance World Congress, YAGP coveted top 12 and Dance Magazine’s Top 25 to Watch. Her invited guest artist in residence, teaching and speaking engagements include: TEDx Pittsburgh, Dance Masters of America, APAP, NAMT, Broadway Dance Center and ArtsBridge.
Beyond artistic projects, Lalama recently celebrated 15 years of service as a professor in Point Park University's Department of Dance. Her university service also includes director of the Jazz unit and founder and director of the Choreography Collective.
In addition, she serves as the Pittsburgh CLO director of strategic initiatives. Of all these accomplishments, she is most proud of her incredibly supportive and inspiring sons, Jacob and Jaxon.
Point Park Features
- "Point Park University Names Kiesha Lalama Managing and Artistic Director of the Pittsburgh Playhouse"
- "Kiesha Lalama and School of Communication Students Produce Pathways to Perform Podcast"
- "Dance Students and Alumni to be Featured in Commercial for Sheetz Convenience Stores"
- Conservatory Dance Company Presents World Premiere of Bound in Before"
- "Conservatory Dance Company Presents World Premiere of Five"
- "Freshman Dance Majors Perform at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh's Anniversary Gala"
- "Kiesha Lalama is featured choreographer in Dynamic Women of Dance"
- "Dance faculty member brings her outside experiences to classroom"
- "Dance faculty member having a great year"
In the News
- "Review: Lalama's Bound in Before is a Hallmark Dance Card at Point Park," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 8, 2019.
- "10 Years After The Bench, Lalama Debuts New Dance Show," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 5, 2019.
- "Dance to a Better Tune," The Royal Gazette, Aug. 16, 2019.
- "Kiesha Lalama Work is Centerpiece of Point Park Dancers' 2019-20 Season," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 30, 2019.
- "7 Days With the 2018 Jimmy Awards," Vulture, July 3, 2018.
- "Point Park University Presents Five," KDKA-TV, Feb. 4, 2016.
- "Conservatory Dance Company Explores Human Resilience in Five," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 3, 2016.
- "A leap to Broadway? Dance show sets sights on New York, national tour," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 28, 2013.
- "Music for class: Kiesha Lalama," Dance Teacher magazine, Jan. 2, 2013.
- "Meet the pros: Broadway or Bust," PBS website, Sept. 2012.
- "'Dynamic women of dance dazzle' at August Wilson Center," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 12, 2012.
- "Giordano's 'Alegria' swift and alluring at Harris," Chicago Tribune, Oct. 24, 2011.
- "'Bench' family: 'Something to be said for DNA,'" Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 10, 2009.