Marc Spaulding, M.F.A.
Visiting Assistant Professor
- M.F.A., Dance, University of California, Irvine
- B.F.A., Dance, University of the Arts
- Modern I
- Modern III, IV
- Modern VII, VIII
Marc Spaulding is an educator, choreographer and dance artist whose passion, integrity and professionalism characterize his works.
Spaulding began his formal dance training at the prestigious Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, D.C., under the direction of Lynn Welters. He later earned a B.F.A. in dance (ballet performance) from the University of the Arts and completed his M.F.A. in dance at University of California, Irvine.
With more than 20 years of professional dance experience, Spaulding has had a very diverse career. His noteworthy concert and theatrical credits include: Dreamgirls first national tour, Equus - Broadway revival, PHILADANCO (The Philadelphia Dance Company), West Side Story International tour, Donald Byrd/The Group, Broadway’s Gypsy of the Year Competition, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Memphis (Musical Theatre West) and Endless Shock (Japanese musical series tour).
His television and film credits include: Nissan North America commercial, Euphoria, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Timeless, Hairspray feature film, ABC's Dancing with The Stars, NBC's Today Show, Saturday Night Live and the 81st annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Spaulding has taught at: Orange County School of the Arts, Millennium Dance Complex - Los Angeles, The American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA), The Jikei Group of Colleges in Japan, Duke Ellington School of the Arts, University of the Arts, Collage Dance Collective and the International Association of Blacks in Dance conference. He is enthusiastic about sharing his wisdom with the next generation of dance artists.
- Go 2 Talent Agency, INC.
Selected Artistic Works
- Fresh Eyes, Graduate Choreography Concert, University of California, Irvine, 2020
- Frequency, Spring Dance Concert, Wayne State University, 2020
- Pause Amour, Eleone Dance Theatre, 2019
- Faculty Dance Concerts, AMDA College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts, 2015-18
- The Scramble, The Jikei Group of Colleges, 2014
- Roller Derby Dad, Nissan North America, INC., 2019
- Dancer, Euphoria: And Salt the Earth Behind You, HBO, 2019
- Dancer, Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Four Movements, NBC, 2018
- Dancer, Timeless: The King of the Delta Blues, NBC, 2018
- Dancer, Nixon in China, Los Angeles, Philharmonic Production, 2017
- Ensemble Dancer, Memphis, Musical Theatre West, 2016
- Dancer, Apple INC: California Soul, 2015
- Ensemble Dancer, Endless Shock: Musical Series, 2013-14
- Dancer, Dancing with the Stars: Macy's Stars of Dance, ABC, 2011
- Little Albert/Ensemble Dancer, Dreamgirls, first national tour, 2009-10
- Choreographic work of contemporary African-American concert dance choreographers
- Critical issues in dance
- Dance history
Awards and Honors
- Sylvia Reines Scholarship, UCI-Claire Trevor School of the Arts Dance Department, 2021
- Tierney Scholarship, UCI-Claire Trevor School of the Arts Dance Department, 2020
- Copperfoot Award, Wayne State University for contributions to repertoire, 2020
Point Park Feature
In the News
- "Meet Marc Spaulding," Voyage LA Magazine, Aug. 26, 2019.