An Affordable, Convenient Pathway for Aspiring Teachers
Point Park's Residency Program, powered by BloomBoard, provides on-the-job-based bachelor's degrees for pre-service teacher candidates working as paraprofessionals or support staff in schools.
Through our Residency Program, you can now earn your teaching degree and certification without leaving your essential job. This online, portfolio-based program will provide you with the knowledge and skills to achieve teaching certification in Pennsylvania or in other select states. This learn-by-doing instructional model makes higher education more accessible and affordable for all qualified aspiring teachers, and you can immediately apply what you learn to your classroom.We offer two bachelor's degrees through the Residency Program:
- Bachelor of Arts in PreK-4th Grade Education leading to PreK-4th Grade Education certification in Pennsylvania and other select states
- Bachelor of Arts in Special Education leading to Special Education PreK-12 Education certification in Pennsylvania and other select states
Upon completion of the Residency Program, you will be able to:
- Utilize a variety of instructional strategies.
- Develop instructional plans and set goals based on the content to be taught/learned, knowledge of assigned students, and the instructional context.
- Establish and maintain purposeful and equitable classroom environments.
- Demonstrate integrity, ethical behavior, and professional conduct as stated in the Pennsylvania Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators.
Benefits of an On-the-Job Program
Point Park's Residency Program offers distinctive benefits for working professionals in the education field:
- Further your education without having to compromise your current job.
- Work toward your teaching certification through our affordable, flexible model.
- Apply your prior and current teaching experiences to complete your coursework.
- Develop your skills and gain the credentials you need to shift from a support role to a full classroom leader, without pressing pause on your career.
The Residency Program is currently only being offered in partnership with school districts, educational service centers, or other educational organizations. Prospective students must have been pre-selected by their employer and received an Invitation to Apply in order to apply to Point Park University’s Residency Program.
Admissions requirements include:
- An Associate’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Students with no AA but holding 60+ credits may apply and request a transcript review.
- Completing the FAFSA annually.
Courses & Topics
Some of the courses included in these degree programs include:
- Building Family Partnerships
- Working with English Language Learners
- Reading Methods
- Methods of Mathematics
- Differentiated Instructional Practices in the Inclusive Classroom
- Data-Driven Instruction
Licensure & Certification
Point Park University is approved to offer programs that may lead to licensure or certification in Pennsylvania. In addition, Pennsylvania is a NC-SARA (National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) member state, and the Pennsylvania Department of Education serves as the state portal entity for SARA institutions within PA. Point Park University is an approved SARA institution, which allows us to offer our distance education programs to students residing outside of Pennsylvania. However, licensure requirements vary from state to state. If you are planning on seeking licensure or certification outside of Pennsylvania, Point Park University recommends that you contact the appropriate licensing board where you plan to be licensed prior to starting the academic program. For more information, please visit our State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements and Professional Licensure page.
Talk with your school or district administrators to find out if this program is available to you or have them reach out to Point Park University to learn about how to offer this in their district. For additional details and questions about Point Park's Residency Program powered by BloomBoard, contact Ryan Holland, admissions counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-392-3915. Visit this link to schedule a call with Ryan.
BloomBoard is a talent development provider that offers programs for school districts to move educators forward at all points of their professional journey. Our platform connects districts to higher education institutions that offer degree and certification programs using a unique on-the-job instructional model. Read more about BloomBoard's partnership with Point Park.