PDE Certification Testing Requirements and Composite Calculator
Basic Academic Skills Exams in Reading, Writing and Mathematics
There are now four ways for education students in Pennsylvania to pass the Basic Skills tests in reading, writing and mathematics. Basic Skills tests (Reading, Writing and Math) are waived until July 8, 2025. Testing options may be mixed.
- ACT tests: Choose option three.
- Praxis® CORE Academic Skills for Educators test: The Pennsylvania Department of Education has authorized the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators tests as an alternative to the PAPA. A composite scoring option is available.
- PAPA (Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment) test: One or all three modules may be taken at one test appointment.
- SAT tests: Choose option three.
*Composite Score Calculator -- View the Pennsylvania Department of Education's basic skills mixed scores options.
Candidates who are already certified and want to add another certificate only have to take the test(s) corresponding to their new certification as permitted by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
These tests measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that education students need to begin teaching.
- Praxis®II Subject Assessments: These tests measure knowledge of specific subjects that K-12 educators will teach, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills and knowledge.
- PAPA Specific Certification Areas: PreK-4, Special Education PreK-8 and Special Education 7-12
How Do I Read My Scores?
Check out the following resources to better understand your test scores.
For additional questions, contact Ja Nel Orwig at 412-392-3975 or firstname.lastname@example.org.