Robert Ross, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Literary Arts and Social Justice Studies
Graduate Director, Community Engagement
- Phone: 412-392-8068
- Fax: 412-392-4781
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology/Sociology, Summa Cum Laude, West Chester University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Science, Geography, with distinction, University College London
- Doctor of Philosophy, Geography, Syracuse University
- Marx and Marxism
- Political Geography of the Middle East
- Intro to Global Cultural Studies
- Sociological Foundations
- Sociology of Marriage and Family
- World Geography
Associate Professor Robert Ross, Ph.D., is a geographer whose teaching and research interests center on the geographies of capitalism. His areas of specialty include the Middle East and North America. Prior to teaching at Point Park, Ross served as a visiting assistant professor at the American University of Beirut and a part-time instructor at Syracuse University and West Chester University of Pennsylvania.
- Ross, R. (2016) "No Space for Apartheid: Toward an Academic Boycott of Israel Among Geographers." The Geographical Review. 106.2. 276-282.
- Ross, R. (2015) "One Year Later, Gaza Is Still in Crisis." Mondoweiss. August 26.
- Ross, R. (2014) "'We Know Best How to Liberate You:' The Misguided Attack on Presbyterian Divestment." Mondoweiss. June 13.
- Ross, R. (2014) "Divestment is an Investment in Love, Peace, and Justice." Unbound: An Interactive Journal of Christian Social Justice. May 30.
- Ross, R. (2013) "Palestinian Christians Under Attack: Price Tag Movement Continues with Apparent Impunity." Presbyterian News Service. September 5.
- Ross, R. (2013) "Erasing Palestine from the map: The Washington Post's distorted cartography." CounterPunch. August 20.
- Ross, R. (2013) "Price tag attacks and the ethnic cleansing of Palestine." Mondoweiss: The War of Ideas in the Middle East. July 2.
- Ross, R. (2012) "How The New York Times erases Israel's Crimes." The Electronic Intifada. December 29.
- Ross, R. (2012) "Boycotting and Divesting from Occupation: Confessions of an Occasional Presbyterian." Unbound: An Interactive Journal of Christian Social Justice. July 24.
ON URBAN GEOGRAPHY
- Probola, E. and Ross, R. (2012) "Book Review: Forging a New Housing Policy: Opportunity in the Wake of Crisis. Edited by Christopher Niedt and Marc Silver. Human Geography. 5. 1. 106-108.
- Ross, R. (2012) "Book Review: Company Towns in the Americas: Landscape, Power, and Working-Class Communities. Edited by Oliver Dinius and Angela Vergara." Journal of Historical Geography. 38. 104-105.
- Ross, R. and Jamil, L. (2011) "Waiting for War (and other Strategies to Stop Gentrification): The Case of Ras Beirut." Human Geography. 4. 3. 14-32.
- Ross, R. (2011)"New York City in the 1970s and Its Legacy." Association of American Geographers Newsletter. 46. 10. 9.
- Ross, B. and Mitchell, D. (2004) "Commentary: Neoliberal Landscapes of Deception: Detroit, Ford Field, and the Ford Motor Company." Urban Geography. 25. 7. 685-690.
ON LABOR AND SPORTS GEOGRAPHY
- Ross, R. (2016) The Great Baseball Revolt: The Rise and Fall of the 1890 Players League. University of Nebraska Press.
- Ross, R. (2011) "Scales and Skills of Monopoly Power: The Case of the 1890-1891 Chicago Carpenters' Strike." Antipode. 43. 4. 1281-1304.
- Ross, R. (2011) "Book Review: Temples of the Earthbound Gods: Stadiums in the Cultural Landscapes of Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires. By Christopher Thomas Gaffney." The Geographical Review. 101. 1. January. 125-140.
- Ross, R. (2010) "The Struggles over Chicago's Brotherhood Park." Area Chicago. No. 10. Summer/Fall. 14-15.
- Ross, R. (2008) "Contradictions of Cultural Production and the Geographies that (Mostly) Resolve them: 19th-Century Baseball and the Rise of the 1890 Players' League." Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 26. 6. 983-1000.
ON OTHER TOPICS
- Ross, R. (2016) "The Limits of Revolutionary Geographic Thought." Antipode. Intervention Symposium - "Did We Accomplish the Revolution in Geographic Thought?" December. 1-8.
- Ross, R. and Rosati, C. (2006) "Social Justice." In B. Warf (ed.) Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Thousand Oaks, Calif. Sage. 436-437.
- “Engaged Learning in Geography: Pedagogy and Practice.” Panelist, Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. Washington, DC. April 2019.
- “Geographies and Theologies of Christian Solidarity.” Panelist and Organizer, Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. New Orleans, La. April 2018.
- “Author Meets Critics: The Great Baseball Revolt.” Panelist, Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. Boston, Mass. April 2017.
- "Did we Accomplish the Revolution in Geographic Thought?" Panelist, Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. San Francisco, Calif. April 2016.
- "Understanding and Resisting the Anti-BDS Movement in America: The Case of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)." Fragments of Empire after the American Century Conference, Center for American Studies and Research, American University of Beirut. January 2016.
- "Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions Workshop." With Tory Smith. Friends of Sabeel North America Pittsburgh Conference. October 2015.
- "Understanding the Opposition: The Anti-BDS Movement in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and Beyond." International Conference of Critical Geography. Ramallah, Palestine. July 2015.
- "Academic Boycott Strategy Open Workshop." International Conference of Critical Geography. Ramallah, Palestine. July 2015.
- "Critical Pedagogy in Geography: Teaching Israel/Palestine as Settler Colonialism." Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. Chicago, Ill. April 2015.
- "Robots, Gentrification, and Warfare: Deception and the Defense Industry, from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Kabul, Afghanistan." Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers. New York, NY. February 2012.
- Geographies of the circulation of capital
- Historical labor geography
- Sports geography
- Middle East
- North America
Professional Appointments and Affiliations
- Steering Committee member, Fossil Free PCUSA, January 2017-Present
- Member, American Association of Geographers, 2004-Present
- Co-Chair, Theology Committee, Friends of Sabeel North America, September 2018-September 2019
- Board member, Friends of Sabeel North America Board of Trustees, July 2016-September 2019
- Chair of Advocacy, Israel/Palestine Mission Network of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Steering Committee, July 2014-October 2017
- Organizer, U.S. Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel Organizing Collective, June 2013-June 2015
- Spokesperson, Socialist and Critical Geography Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers, July 2014-April 2015
In the News
- "That time when baseball players rebelled by forming their own league," Pittsburgh City Paper, July 11, 2016.
- "Remembering the 1890 Players League and Pittsburgh's Role in Baseball History," WESA 90.5 FM, June 14, 2016.
Point Park Features
- "Social Justice Studies Professor Earns Grant from Institute for Human Geography to Continue His Research," Point Park University website, Nov. 20, 2019.
- "Human Rights Advocates Discuss Resistance to Mass Incarceration with Foundations of Social Justice Studies Class," Point Park University website, Oct. 31, 2019.
- "Global Cultural Studies and Dance Graduate Presents Research at American Association of Geographers Conference," Point Park University website, May 2, 2018.
- "Meet Robert Ross, Assistant Professor of Global Cultural Studies," Point Park University website, May 15, 2013.
- "Professor to Give History on the Rise and Fall of 1890 Baseball Players' League," Point Park University website, April 15, 2013.